southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk
Please also follow us on our live Twitter Feed
  1. Published on: 10/01/2019 07:14 AMReported by: roving-eye
    After 50 years, Woodvale Rally Board have been forced to cancel the 2019 Rally on Victoria Park, Southport, and any other rallies in the future.



    We were informed by Andrew Edwards, the Southport Flower Show (SFS) Chairman in October 2018, that due to an incident concerning a fairground ride that occurred during the set up of the rally, the Trustee's of the Southport Flower Show Company have taken the decision not to allow the Rally to be held on Victoria Park again.

    Several times we asked for meetings with SFS to discuss the reasons for the exclusion all without answer until we were informed finally by letter on 5th December by Mr Edwards that there would be no meetings and no further correspondence would be answered. We have been accused, convicted and excluded without a fair hearing.

    Councillor Pugh met with Mr Edwards and others from SFS, on 21st November 2018 to put forward our case, to no avail. We asked Sefton Council for assistance but were informed by them that the running of VP was leased to SFS and we would need to deal with them.

    Over the last 7 years we have built our event around the park facilities, benefitting local hotels, restaurants and traders. We provided entertainment and facilities for 1000s of visitors, all profits going to local charities. To move it elsewhere is impractical and would incur huge financial loss. We therefore see no alternative but to cancel 2019 and any further shows.

    We believe Victoria Park should be not be run by a vested interest with the ability to penalise others and make money for a private company from a public asset. The decision to exclude us from the park is not in the interests of the residents and public but is driven by the desire to turn the park into a Caravan Site, which is not what was intended when the park was gifted to the people of Southport.

    Because of the above events we will send copies of this notice to all Sefton Councillors and Southport MP Damien Moore. We call on Sefton Council to institute a full public enquiry into the mismanagement of Victoria Park, and the false accusations levelled against us.

    Submit News to Us

    Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk




  2. Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk




    Your Comments:


  3. clive764 says:10/01/2019 09:39 AM
    What was "the incident concerning a fairground ride"?
    Could that be the clue, as is probably the case and Woodvale know. It's a bit disingenuous to bleat without exposing all the facts and circumstances.
    SFS are also a charity, so any monies they make (surplus) are invested back into to the upkeep and running of Victoria Park, more than Sefton were prepared to provide.
    I think there is a lot more to this story than at face value, but again one sided, myopic reporting or was it just published as an article from Woodvale, without any due diligence and scrutiny, or an opportunity to knock an organisation that is fair game for Qlocal?
    Last edited by clive764; 10/01/2019 at 10:24 AM.

  4. ands71 says:10/01/2019 11:36 AM
    Such a shame it ever moved from RAF Woodvale for more silly reasons, was a fantastic weekend. Sad !!

  5. clive764 says:10/01/2019 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ands71 View Post
    Such a shame it ever moved from RAF Woodvale for more silly reasons, was a fantastic weekend. Sad !!

    "silly reasons"? - that there was an asbestos risk with the post war demolition of buildings riddled with asbestos, the remnants of which were ploughed into the ground so that the areas that the Woodvale Show used were contaminated.

    Not silly therefore, just sensible and too risky, particularly with the litigation culture we now have.

  6. ands71 says:10/01/2019 04:11 PM
    'Not silly therefore, just sensible and too risky, particularly with the litigation culture we now have.[/QUOTE]'

    Exactly, litigation.........went every year for years and I've not known anyone have any asbestos related problems due to 3 days enjoyment! And why are the RAF staff still allowed on there 365 days a year???

  7. thediscovolante says:10/01/2019 05:11 PM
    for gods sake,,the pc correct brigade will bring britain to a standstill,,,i spent my youth roaming woodvale airfield with my pilot father,,,there is utterly no issue there,,its all bull,,,woodvale is as safe as the housing estates built in kew on the toxic rubbish tips, or the town centre shops and homes subject to vehicle pollution or the marshside homes subject to nuclear waste from windscale/sellafield, or the council houses built with toxic pcb waste from power stations in birkdale and southport etc, if there was such a real risk from woodvale the raf would not be there.....just someone take control and reinstate a proper woodvale rally at woodvale and everybody live in the real world

  8. Likes steve liked this post
  9. thediscovolante says:10/01/2019 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clive764 View Post
    "silly reasons"? - that there was an asbestos risk with the post war demolition of buildings riddled with asbestos, the remnants of which were ploughed into the ground so that the areas that the Woodvale Show used were contaminated.

    Not silly therefore, just sensible and too risky, particularly with the litigation culture we now have.
    its less worse than building on toxic wastes in kew,,,marshside contaminated from sellafield uranium waste that people eat the cockles,,i could go on

  10. Coastal99 says:11/01/2019 09:02 AM
    When Woodvale airfield eventually closes and is sold off to a major property developer I bet the asbestos contamination issue will have been overstated "due to testing errors" and the land will be perfectly safe for residential development.

  11. clive764 says:11/01/2019 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal99 View Post
    When Woodvale airfield eventually closes and is sold off to a major property developer I bet the asbestos contamination issue will have been overstated "due to testing errors" and the land will be perfectly safe for residential development.
    Not likely to happen anytime soon, Woodvale is "strategically important" to the defence of the UK according to the Strategic Defence Review. It is the only operational RAF base in North West England (MOD regional definition) and has a runway length commensurate with being able to accommodate the largest service aircraft.

    If the airbase was ever "sold for development" there would have to be a major decontamination programme; unfortunately the public purse has always picked up this bill in other examples of contaminated Crown property, before selling on to a Developer. I'm sure there would also be a Public Inquiry on the separation of Freshfield and Ainsdale and the covenants in place on the land occupied by RAF Woodvale, of which there are many.
    Last edited by clive764; 11/01/2019 at 01:50 PM.

  12. roughjustice says:11/01/2019 11:04 AM
    The Asbestos is just a 'Red Herring'....If there was any more than 'acceptable background' it would be sorted out or dealt with to reduce risks to operational and University Air Sqdn personnel etc.

    As stated it is quite a 'strategically placed' installation not least because of it's location, size if runways and proximity to Northern Ireland.

    I strongly suspect someone has decided that given the raising of 'threat level' in the UK due to Terrorism is was a good excuse to kick the show off the site and avoid the massive risks/security issues of Policing several thousand members of the public wandering around un supervised on a military site.

    The Police Helicopter was vandalised twice at Woodvale causing massive embarrassment as it is......Imagine the questions that would be asked if terrorists carried out an attack on an RAF base amid thousands of civilians and the Kudos they would make from it.

  13. nosobored says:11/01/2019 03:14 PM
    What complete crap.There about 30 years ago was an issue relating to Beta emitters which are harmess unless you sit on a hot patch with bear skin,That came from Springfield and not Sellafield,Get your facts strait as for Woodvale its whats underneath the airfield that concerns the RAF and the security risk it imposes,Get your facts right.The asbestos is just a cover story nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by thediscovolante View Post
    for gods sake,,the pc correct brigade will bring britain to a standstill,,,i spent my youth roaming woodvale airfield with my pilot father,,,there is utterly no issue there,,its all bull,,,woodvale is as safe as the housing estates built in kew on the toxic rubbish tips, or the town centre shops and homes subject to vehicle pollution or the marshside homes subject to nuclear waste from windscale/sellafield, or the council houses built with toxic pcb waste from power stations in birkdale and southport etc, if there was such a real risk from woodvale the raf would not be there.....just someone take control and reinstate a proper woodvale rally at woodvale and everybody live in the real world

  14. salus.populi says:11/01/2019 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clive764 View Post
    What was "the incident concerning a fairground ride"?
    The lease of Victoria Park does not allow fairground rides apparently so as not to compete with Pleasureland. Now I'm sure there have been fairground rides at numerous events there over the years without it being an issue so perhaps there's been a recent objection. No reason why these events can't take place without them though.

  15. Little Londoner says:11/01/2019 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nosobored View Post
    What complete crap.There about 30 years ago was an issue relating to Beta emitters which are harmess unless you sit on a hot patch with bear skin,That came from Springfield and not Sellafield,Get your facts strait as for Woodvale its whats underneath the airfield that concerns the RAF and the security risk it imposes,Get your facts right.The asbestos is just a cover story nothing else.
    I never knew Guards used to be based at Woodvale, they are the only service that use bear skin aren't they? As for what is underneath Woodvale like most properties in the area it is SAND. Christ I've never heard such rubbish as some feeble minded people believe.

  16. clive764 says:11/01/2019 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    The lease of Victoria Park does not allow fairground rides apparently so as not to compete with Pleasureland. Now I'm sure there have been fairground rides at numerous events there over the years without it being an issue so perhaps there's been a recent objection. No reason why these events can't take place without them though.
    I also understand someone from Woodvale Rally was allegedly abusive when challenged about the infringement of the lease conditions, as that person is reported (Liverpool Echo) as denying being abusive.

  17. clive764 says:11/01/2019 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    I never knew Guards used to be based at Woodvale, they are the only service that use bear skin aren't they? As for what is underneath Woodvale like most properties in the area it is SAND. Christ I've never heard such rubbish as some feeble minded people believe.
    Sand and old prefabricated buildings with asbestos debris ploughed into the runway aprons and surrounds.
    But hey, let's not get facts get in the way of conspiracy theories and vibrant and imaginative conspiracy theorists.


Custom Search
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register



       
Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal


Jobs from Indeed



UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News


Supporting Local Business
The Willwriting Guild (UK) Ltd, Eldon Court, 39-41 Hoghton Street, Southport, PR90NS
The WWG is a family run business established in 1991 specialising in Wills. Our services also include Lasting Power of Attorney, Trusts, Probate, Equity Release, Funeral Plans & Document Storage.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 546688
Supporting Local Business
4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788

Supporting Local Business
Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Bradshawa Lane, Southport, PR8 3LG
Following a full time career, Jim has now settled in to a challenging and exciting role as club professional at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club.
WEBSITE     TEL: 577316
Supporting Local Business
30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808


Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)