southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk
Please also follow us on our live Twitter Feed
  1. Published on: 28/09/2020 09:54 AMReported by: roving-eye
    Sefton Council’s leader, Cllr Ian Maher, has responded to a number of comments regarding the installation of central government required cycle lanes in the borough.



    Earlier this year the Government announced its Emergency Active Travel Fund, and called for Councils to reallocate road space urgently to produce cycling and walking facilities.

    “Working with the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority, Sefton Council submitted a bid to the Government fund and was successful in securing funding for two schemes in Bootle and Southport Town Centre. Both of these met the Government criteria for the fund.

    These two schemes are based on key routes previously identified in the Liverpool City Region Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan and make it easier and safer for people to visit town centre shops, workplaces and other facilities in Bootle and Southport by bike or on foot.

    Cllr Ian Maher, Leader of Sefton Council said: “In May during what was and still remains an incredibly difficult time for councils across the country, the Conservative Government, through their Emergency Active Travel Fund, placed significant pressure on Sefton Council to urgently reallocate road space to produce cycling and walking facilities.

    “To further compound these pressures, the Government then stipulated that these schemes had to be started within four weeks and completed within eight weeks of funding being approved.

    “This unfortunately meant it was not possible to carry out a consultation in the way we normally would with our valued communities, due to the incredibly restrictive nature of Mr Moore’s Conservative Government’s timescale and requirements.

    “We are wholly aware of the continued need to make savings and recoup income to help cope with ongoing and ever increasing Government cuts in funding and Mr Moore is correct in saying this Central Government scheme will indeed further cause Sefton Council to lose out on much needed revenue.

    “The Council will be monitoring these routes closely and will keep them under review over the coming months, so that we understand how we can both improve them for people who walk and cycle as well as further support our local economy at this crucial time.”

    Submit News to Us

    Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk




  2. Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk





    Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

    Your Comments:


  3. timelord says:28/09/2020 11:52 AM
    Cycle lanes are absolutely fine but you have to wonder which genius decided to place them on Queens Rd and Hoghton St? Are they really cycling hotspots? When councils are struggling for cash, is it really wise to lose thousands in parking revenue by removing parking meters? When there aren't enough parking spaces anyway and businesses are desperately needing more trade?

  4. Likes libraryguy liked this post
  5. Alikado says:28/09/2020 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timelord View Post
    Cycle lanes are absolutely fine but you have to wonder which genius decided to place them on Queens Rd and Hoghton St? Are they really cycling hotspots? When councils are struggling for cash, is it really wise to lose thousands in parking revenue by removing parking meters? When there aren't enough parking spaces anyway and businesses are desperately needing more trade?
    Can't you read ;-

    "These two schemes are based on key routes previously identified in the Liverpool City Region Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan and make it easier and safer for people to visit town centre shops, workplaces and other facilities in Bootle and Southport by bike or on foot."

    There are more than enough parking spaces, many of the lost ones are outside premises where the occupants have been complaining about Pay n Display blocking access to their property.

  6. Likes Nash, donkey22, AdmiralAckbar liked this post
  7. Anon says:28/09/2020 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    Can't you read ;-

    "These two schemes are based on key routes previously identified in the Liverpool City Region Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan and make it easier and safer for people to visit town centre shops, workplaces and other facilities in Bootle and Southport by bike or on foot."

    There are more than enough parking spaces, many of the lost ones are outside premises where the occupants have been complaining about Pay n Display blocking access to their property.
    I fail to see how it makes it easier to visit town centre shops by foot.

    Yes it makes it easier and safer to visit town centre shops by bike.

    But I doubt if this will increase the number who actually do.

    I have walked down London Street many times from Central 12 to Chapel Street. Hardly ever have I seen a single bike using the dedicated cycle lanes.

    This is what the local businesses in that area think :-

    https://standupforsouthport.com/busi...o-be-scrapped/

    If they've previously been complaining about cars blocking access, they really have something to complain about now.

  8. Likes Little Londoner liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22 disliked this post
  9. local says:28/09/2020 02:29 PM
    So to sum up the government gave us a few months to come up with a scheme that a few socially distanced phone calls or drive throughs would have kyboshed as useless in minutes.

  10. Likes Little Londoner liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22 disliked this post
  11. lawed143 says:28/09/2020 07:50 PM
    FFS, why is it so difficult to understand? The government has said these routes have to be in place. Read the Gov guidance online.
    Where do you suggest the lanes are placed if not on Hoghton St? Lord St? That would be worse.
    The lanes have to access town centres, so by they’re nature they have to be placed where they are. It’s really not difficult to understand.

  12. silver fox says:29/09/2020 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawed143 View Post
    FFS, why is it so difficult to understand? The government has said these routes have to be in place. Read the Gov guidance online.
    Where do you suggest the lanes are placed if not on Hoghton St? Lord St? That would be worse.
    The lanes have to access town centres, so by they’re nature they have to be placed where they are. It’s really not difficult to understand.
    It’s easy to understand, most of us recognise utter stupidity with ease, hand a main access route from vehicles to bikes, is a mark of unthought, box ticking, with very little to recommend it.

  13. Sap33 says:29/09/2020 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    It’s easy to understand, most of us recognise utter stupidity with ease, hand a main access route from vehicles to bikes, is a mark of unthought, box ticking, with very little to recommend it.
    Genuine question, if the Government says these routes have to be in place, where else would you put it?

    Technically the main access route is via Albert Road, hence the signs that have been there for years sending HGVs along this way, so where else can it go?

    For your information, I don't agree with the restrictions along Hoghton Street, but partly agree with the restrictions on Queens Road, where I think restricting traffic entering from Manchester Road is a good thing, but not necessary, in my opinion, at the Park Crescent end.
    Last edited by Sap33; 29/09/2020 at 08:46 AM.

  14. Alikado says:29/09/2020 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sap33 View Post
    Genuine question, if the Government says these routes have to be in place, where else would you put it?

    Technically the main access route is via Albert Road, hence the signs that have been there for years sending HGVs along this way, so where else can it go?

    For your information, I don't agree with the restrictions along Hoghton Street, but partly agree with the restrictions on Queens Road, where I think restricting traffic entering from Manchester Road is a good thing, but not necessary, in my opinion, at the Park Crescent end.
    I know it would probably irk the Fire Brigade, Ambulance and Police but it might have been better to make both Albert Rd and Queens Rd one way.

  15. Likes Sap33 liked this post
  16. Sap33 says:29/09/2020 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    I know it would probably irk the Fire Brigade, Ambulance and Police but it might have been better to make both Albert Rd and Queens Rd one way.
    As in one in, one out?

    Sounds a sensible option and shouldn't affect response times by a huge amount.

  17. justbecause says:29/09/2020 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sap33 View Post
    Genuine question, if the Government says these routes have to be in place, where else would you put it?

    Technically the main access route is via Albert Road, hence the signs that have been there for years sending HGVs along this way, so where else can it go?

    For your information, I don't agree with the restrictions along Hoghton Street, but partly agree with the restrictions on Queens Road, where I think restricting traffic entering from Manchester Road is a good thing, but not necessary, in my opinion, at the Park Crescent end.


    So, these restrictions have been put in place to supposedly encourage cyclists to ride into town and yet you advocate keeping the no entry in to Queens Road from Manchester Road, which is heading OUT of town, and yet you think the no entry from Park Crescent isn’t necessary, even though that is heading INTO town. BIZARRE.

  18. Dislikes donkey22 disliked this post
  19. Sap33 says:29/09/2020 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justbecause View Post
    [/B]

    So, these restrictions have been put in place to supposedly encourage cyclists to ride into town and yet you advocate keeping the no entry in to Queens Road from Manchester Road, which is heading OUT of town, and yet you think the no entry from Park Crescent isn’t necessary, even though that is heading INTO town. BIZARRE.
    The restrictions are to encourage safe cycling, not just cycling into town! Keeping the traffic from entering Queens Road at Manchester Road means less traffic on that stretch, making it quieter for cyclists as it gives motorists space to overtake. The bulk of traffic coming into town from the North, tends to follow the sign posts for Albert Road anyway, so not really bizarre.

  20. Likes clive764 liked this post

Custom Search

You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register


Privacy & Cookie Policy


       
   Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk
Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Bulk Aggregates in southport
Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal








UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News


Supporting Local Business
30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808
Supporting Local Business
15 Hampton Road, Southport, PR8 6SX
Your local hire centre. Extensive range of tools and equipment. Suppliers to the trade and DIY
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 538595

Supporting Local Business
Hesfords DIY & Gardening, Moorgate, Lancashire, L39 4RU
Hesfords has been a family concern since it was founded in 1903 by Charles Martin on Market Row. Originally specialising in engineering the company moved to its current location in 1978.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01695 572727
Supporting Local Business
127 Wennington Road, SOUTHPORT, PR9 7AH
Our team of Veterinary Surgeons, trainee and qualified Veterinary Nurses and Receptionists aim to provide the highest possible standard of a personal, caring and friendly service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 214460


Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)