southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk
Please also follow us on our live Twitter Feed
  1. Published on: 14/03/2019 04:25 PMReported by: rogerblaxall
    Selfish parkers on a cycle path adjacent to busy Southport Road got their just desserts today after the authorities swooped to hand out numerous fixed penalty notices.

    QLocal's Ormskirk reporter Roger Blaxall snapped these cars and a van which were booked and face a hefty fine for parking illegally.

    The selfish parking has long been a bone of contention in the area with Scarisbrick parish councillors raising the matter with police on numerous occasions; many of those booked work at either Halliwell Jones or the Honda dealers.
       

    Submit News to Us

    Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk




  2. Dislikes Knownothing disliked this post
  3. Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk




    Your Comments:


  4. donkey22 says:14/03/2019 05:36 PM
    Long overdue. Well done to all those concerned.

  5. Dislikes Knownothing disliked this post
  6. chrismatt. says:14/03/2019 09:36 PM
    I have never seen a cyclist on that path!

  7. Dislikes The PNP disliked this post
  8. lambsey says:14/03/2019 10:42 PM
    the cars are parked on the slip road which was built well over 40 years ago so there was safe parking off the dangerous, busy A570 into Southport. They look to be safely parked leaving lots of free space so if any idiot cyclists cannot see them and have an accident then it is their own stupid fault for not looking where they are going. Any car owners booked should appeal as the slip road was built well before any "cycle paths " were even dreamed of so there was safe parking

  9. Dislikes The PNP disliked this post
  10. Knownothing says:14/03/2019 10:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerblaxall View Post
    Selfish parkers on a cycle path adjacent to busy Scarisbrick New Road got their just desserts today after the authorities swooped to hand out numerous fixed penalty notices.

    QLocal's Ormskirk reporter Roger Blaxall snapped these cars and a van which were booked and face a hefty fine for parking illegally.

    The selfish parking has long been a bone of contention in the area with Scarisbrick parish councillors raising the matter with police on numerous occasions; many of those booked work at either Halliwell Jones or the Honda dealers.
    The notices handed out today were not in fact fines, but notice of intention to fine those people, in the future, who park illegally. The current positioning of the vehicles was at the request of the police, the same authority who placed notices on the vehicles today.
    This has been an ongoing issue for some time now and one that seems to be discriminating against those who are parked during working hours and more than likely staff of local businesses.
    I understand that blocking the footpath and cycle path is an issue for the users of them, but they are, as the pictures prove allowing access along the length of it. A fact that can be backed up by individuals seen taking photographs and then continuing to drive their vehicle along the cycle path, ie NOT BLOCKED.
    I drive this route daily when the businesses are closed and no staff will be parking close by and count, along that stretch of Southport Rd in excess of 20 vehicles, sometimes numbering close to 30.
    Indeed tonight I drove along and have seen a taxi parked adjacent to a lamp post so close that nobody could walk on the pavement between them both, a large van on the opposite side completely blocking the cycle lane. I guess these would be residents vehicles as they are there on a continual basis, 7 days a week, not just 5 or 6.
    Please tell me why there should be a rule for one and an exemption for another? After all if the vehicles in the images are breaking the law, surely those that are parked at different hours are breaking the same laws?
    Could this not be misconstrued as discrimination, the same could be said as regards the original post which doesn’t show vehicles other than those opposite the named business premises?
    Over a period of years, there have been numerous cases of vandalism to vehicles parked in the area local to where the pictures have been taken, Southport Rd / Pool Hey Lane, scratching of cars, nails thrown on the cycle paths and pavements, dog faeces placed on vehicles. This I guess would not be those people who park there but disgruntled residents, pathway users or other business owners in the area. Do we really think this is more acceptable than the parking of the cars themselves? ME, I would consider it not only a criminal offence, but more selfish than the parking itself. Mr Blaxhall, how would you feel if you returned to your vehicle and found it damaged or vandalised and you had to pay for the repairs? A bit peeved no doubt? There’s been much said about the parking issue but not the fore mentioned criminal acts that have cost people and insurance companies several thousands of pounds. Is this something that as a society we endorse?
    Looking at the images posted, it is quite evident that a portion of the pavement is unusable due to overgrown hedges and undergrowth. This is compounding the issue raised regards useability of the footpath in general. Maybe the person(s) responsible for the aforementioned could be brought to task and asked to act accordingly and contribute to easing the access and parking problems.
    ALL of Southport and the surrounding areas have ongoing issues with parking, a national issue in all fairness. I myself have had to cope in my 2 previous job roles with parking restrictions,as many people do and I try my best to park with reasonable consideration for residents and other highway users. The same as I can see in the images. I am no legal expert, but actually want to know what law(s) are broken to justify the potential ticketing of the parked vehicles, can anybody please provide specific details? The businesses along Southport Rd provide employment and financial benefit to not only local people but the local community, they raise monies for charities, that doesn’t make them all bad in my eyes.
    Perhaps a way forward could be, the business owners or representatives, local residents and land owners, highway and footpath users, parish councillors, policing and parking authorities all meet up to discuss the problem and try and reach an amicable conclusion. Without the unnecessary interaction of the media “stirring the pot”.
    To clarify a few points;
    I do not work at these premises or own them.
    I regularly cycle along that stretch of path and have never been hindered by or had cause for concern regards any parked vehicles.
    I suffer from similar parking woes, with cars left outside my house on a daily basis, even as long as 38 days without moving in one instance.
    In my 2 previous job roles, I have had to contend with parking restrictions local to the businesses I worked at. But did park with reasonable consideration to residents and other highway users. The same as what I perceive the vehicles have in the images.
    As previously stated, if there has been contravention of regulations then ALL offenders need to be dealt with ( look at the cars in the back ground in the pictures) as they are breaking the same laws in my opinion. Surely the police of parking authorities do not want to be viewed as victimising, discriminating or targeting certain sectors of the community and not others. Would that in itself not be illegal?
    A large dollop of common sense needs to be digested by all when viewing and dealing with this and similar issues that occur daily.
    Last edited by Knownothing; 14/03/2019 at 11:26 PM.

  11. Likes donkey22, jonnybgood liked this post
  12. iggsy says:15/03/2019 07:58 AM
    The fact of the matter is that t's a cycle lane, no matter that 40 years ago you could park there - 40 years ago you could park on the promenade and not get a ticket either.
    The coastal road also has a designated footpath/cycle lane. Several years ago during the airshow weekend, drivers decided to park their cars along it and hence, all received a ticket.
    You say one law for one and another for someone else and use inflammatory terms such as victimisation, would you say the same for this location?
    Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it wrong. Would you speed on a road because you thought the posted limited didn't suit you?
    Selfish parking seems to be the blight of modern Britain and more people are taking the attitude of "Me first".
    I commend the police for taking action, regardless if you have a problem with it. If residents wish to park there, then lobby the council for suitable residents permits like in most other similar areas around the country.

  13. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Dislikes jonnybgood disliked this post
  14. local says:15/03/2019 10:01 AM
    It doesn't seem selfish to go to work and bring prosperity to the area.

    Parking where other people can still use the area doesn't seem to selfish to me either.

    Too many complain about parking for no obvious reason.

    The one cyclist a day having a "Zil Lane" to themselves seems the selfish act to me.

  15. Dislikes The PNP disliked this post
  16. Alikado says:15/03/2019 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lambsey View Post
    the cars are parked on the slip road which was built well over 40 years ago so there was safe parking off the dangerous, busy A570 into Southport. They look to be safely parked leaving lots of free space so if any idiot cyclists cannot see them and have an accident then it is their own stupid fault for not looking where they are going. Any car owners booked should appeal as the slip road was built well before any "cycle paths " were even dreamed of so there was safe parking
    It is not a slip road and never has been it has always been a cycle path.

  17. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Dislikes Little Londoner disliked this post
  18. Knownothing says:15/03/2019 03:42 PM
    There seems to be conflicting 'opinions' on the designation of the strip of tarmac adjacent to the A570. There needs to be clarification on what this is from a legal perspective, with official evidence to back this up. The word 'obstruction' is a very broad term, again what is the legal definition of this in relation to a vehicle parked on this land?
    In my previous post I highlighted the fact, numerous vehicles are parked AND BLOCK both sides of the pathways of the A570 outside of normal working hours. Check Google street view for reference of various vehicles both cars and larger LCVs, including residents own vehicles, parking through the day. Those opposite the businesses named in the original post seem to park with most consideration in my opinion. Although there appear to be very few if any vehicles cause an actual obstruction of the cycle way.
    Logic must prevail when dealing with this issue and if any notices are issued and subsequently contested by the recipients, then the law should only base a decision on fact and these facts need to be presented to deter those vehicle owners IF they are breaking the law.
    Again, I would consider it completely wrong to ticket certain vehicles and allow others to park without notice being served, whoever they are and at what ever time they park.
    I do not endorse the blocking or obstruction of cycle and foot paths in any way and I would certainly have no objection if I was issued with a PCN for doing so and would pay my monies as needed.
    Does this area comes under the control of West Lancs council who are not based in the immediate vicinity. If I am correct then I would consider it not the best utilisation of resources for our already over stretched services.
    I am sure we would like our law enforcers to be out acting as a deterrent for the more serious of crimes that are all too common place nowadays in our towns and cities. If anybody would prefer to see the police ticket one of these parked cars as opposed to catching a shoplifter or burglar, I seriously think you need to realign your priorities.
    From an outsiders and independent viewpoint, it would seem that there are person[s] complaining about the parking for an end result of personal gain.
    What can actually be gained from stopping these cars parking, a better view of the wild and over grown road side hedging and undergrowth? As I cannot understand there being an obstruction from the images of the original poster.
    Please feel free to view street view and see the cyclists utilising the path way and not having to revert to using the carriageway.

  19. Likes jonnybgood liked this post
  20. Tristarpete says:15/03/2019 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerblaxall View Post
    Selfish parkers on a cycle path adjacent to busy Southport Road got their just desserts today after the authorities swooped to hand out numerous fixed penalty notices.

    QLocal's Ormskirk reporter Roger Blaxall snapped these cars and a van which were booked and face a hefty fine for parking illegally.

    The selfish parking has long been a bone of contention in the area with Scarisbrick parish councillors raising the matter with police on numerous occasions; many of those booked work at either Halliwell Jones or the Honda dealers.
    Vehicles are parked 2 wheels on a cycle path and 2 wheels on a public foot path,

  21. iggsy says:15/03/2019 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    There seems to be conflicting 'opinions' on the designation of the strip of tarmac adjacent to the A570. There needs to be clarification on what this is from a legal perspective, with official evidence to back this up. The word 'obstruction' is a very broad term, again what is the legal definition of this in relation to a vehicle parked on this land?
    In my previous post I highlighted the fact, numerous vehicles are parked AND BLOCK both sides of the pathways of the A570 outside of normal working hours. Check Google street view for reference of various vehicles both cars and larger LCVs, including residents own vehicles, parking through the day. Those opposite the businesses named in the original post seem to park with most consideration in my opinion. Although there appear to be very few if any vehicles cause an actual obstruction of the cycle way.
    Logic must prevail when dealing with this issue and if any notices are issued and subsequently contested by the recipients, then the law should only base a decision on fact and these facts need to be presented to deter those vehicle owners IF they are breaking the law.
    Again, I would consider it completely wrong to ticket certain vehicles and allow others to park without notice being served, whoever they are and at what ever time they park.
    I do not endorse the blocking or obstruction of cycle and foot paths in any way and I would certainly have no objection if I was issued with a PCN for doing so and would pay my monies as needed.
    Does this area comes under the control of West Lancs council who are not based in the immediate vicinity. If I am correct then I would consider it not the best utilisation of resources for our already over stretched services.
    I am sure we would like our law enforcers to be out acting as a deterrent for the more serious of crimes that are all too common place nowadays in our towns and cities. If anybody would prefer to see the police ticket one of these parked cars as opposed to catching a shoplifter or burglar, I seriously think you need to realign your priorities.
    From an outsiders and independent viewpoint, it would seem that there are person[s] complaining about the parking for an end result of personal gain.
    What can actually be gained from stopping these cars parking, a better view of the wild and over grown road side hedging and undergrowth? As I cannot understand there being an obstruction from the images of the original poster.
    Please feel free to view street view and see the cyclists utilising the path way and not having to revert to using the carriageway.
    Yet again you miss the point entirely, offering your opinion as to what is right and wrong, irrespective of the actual law.
    So would I be right in thinking that you would argue with a police officer for jumping a red light because it was slowing you down or a traffic warden for issuing you a ticket for being over your allotted time, that's if you bought a ticket at all.
    You say you've had experience of people parking outside your house for up to 38 days? Why should this bother you when clearly you are aggravated by parking elsewhere, that is in contravention of the road traffic act and clearly signed as a designated cycle way.
    Would you park on yellow lines outside a school when children are leaving, simply because you didn't agree with their placement.
    Again, the law is being upheld whether you think it trivial or not and regardless of the length of your post, your opinion is immaterial.

  22. local says:15/03/2019 08:31 PM
    You don't appear to have read the post.


Custom Search
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register



       
Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal


Jobs from Indeed



UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News


Supporting Local Business
4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788
Supporting Local Business
165 Lord Street, Opposite the Prince of Wales, Southport, PR8 1PF
In superlative classic surroundings, enjoy your tea and food in a building which you would be forgiven to think was in the heart of London! Actually we are opposite the Prince of Wales in Southport
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 540066

Supporting Local Business
Rimmer Scaffolding, 11 Guildford Road, Southport, PR8 4JU
For a professional, cost-effective scaffolding service, Rimmer Scaffolding are the local specialists who remember that safety comes first and who don't cut corners.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 550859
Supporting Local Business
45a Sussex Road, Southport, PR9 0SR
Manufacturers of quality blinds and curtains including vertical, venetian, roller, pleated and roman. We are specialists in Conservatory blinds and motorisation. We also offer a full free measuring and fitting service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 548247


Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)