southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

Who will be next Labour leader?

Out of the choices who would you choose tomorrow?

Sir Kier Starker
    Lisa Mandy
    Rebecca Long-Bailey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-50781341

Tried to add poll but it wasn't playing ball
    Volunteers needed now

Southport And Formby Special Athletes
    Registered charity no. 1037697

www.southportspecialathletes.org.uk

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Keir Starmer.

According to the Guardian his appointment promises the most entertainment.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-labour-leader

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bambi275 View Post
    Out of the choices who would you choose tomorrow?

Sir Kier Starker
    Lisa Mandy
    Rebecca Long-Bailey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-50781341

Tried to add poll but it wasn't playing ball
    None of the above! If that is the best on offer - it lookds as if conservatives are in for a very long time, even if they dance with the devil!

Likes / Dislikes
    It will be Starmer. No two ways about it. He got my vote, and apart from a few far lefties who want Corbyn-lite with RLB, he's got everybody else's vote that I know about.

I'd be both shocked and disappointed if it is RLB. I like Nandy. She could be a future leader, but she isn't the finished article yet.

Starmer is supremely qualified. Middle of the political scale Labour-wise, with ideas on immigration that will appeal to the 'I'm voting Brexit party cos I'm a thick racist' branch of the left.

An honoured and decorated barrister, he'll deflate Bumbling Boris at the dispatch box with ease.

Going to make PMQs a lot more lively than they have been of late.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    It will be Starmer. No two ways about it. He got my vote, and apart from a few far lefties who want Corbyn-lite with RLB, he's got everybody else's vote that I know about.

I'd be both shocked and disappointed if it is RLB. I like Nandy. She could be a future leader, but she isn't the finished article yet.

Starmer is supremely qualified. Middle of the political scale Labour-wise, with ideas on immigration that will appeal to the 'I'm voting Brexit party cos I'm a thick racist' branch of the left.

An honoured and decorated barrister, he'll deflate Bumbling Boris at the dispatch box with ease.

Going to make PMQs a lot more lively than they have been of late.
    I like Nandy too, she seems quite passionate. Starmer may have the qualifications & experience but I fear he has a similar charisma level to Corbyn & I just can't see him building a great following & getting Labour back to where they need to be. He is just too automaton for me, I do quite like him but just think he hasn't got a leadership air about him.
    As for Long-Bailey, her voice just grates, it can be quite whiny at times. I know my views aren't politically technical but then people do tend to go for the one they feel they affiliate with.
    Volunteers needed now

Southport And Formby Special Athletes
    Registered charity no. 1037697

www.southportspecialathletes.org.uk

7. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    I like Nandy too, she seems quite passionate. Starmer may have the qualifications & experience but I fear he has a similar charisma level to Corbyn & I just can't see him building a great following & getting Labour back to where they need to be. He is just too automaton for me, I do quite like him but just think he hasn't got a leadership air about him.
    As for Long-Bailey, her voice just grates, it can be quite whiny at times. I know my views aren't politically technical but then people do tend to go for the one they feel they affiliate with.

Starmer is Labour Leader!

Likes / Dislikes
    Starmer is the new Labour leader.

An impressively credentialed barrister induced into parliament by promises of fast track by Gordon Brown, Keir Starmer is reputed by the red top press the model for Helen Fieldings' character Mark Darcy — so far, so good.

Progressives hope his legal training and experience will enable him to skewer the PM at question time. I'll believe it, if I see it.

The Labour leader's greatest struggle will be to provide poles for Labour's big tent. I suspect he'll be no more successful than have his recent predecessors.

What all the political parties do not want to contemplate is making parliament and the institutions of government radically different. They're all insiders looking out! …and looking out for themselves?

Likes / Dislikes
    I know what you mean. I got the two I voted for. Starmer and Rayner.

After the Cult of Corbyn, I'm quite looking forward to a steady hand at the tiller. I've seen Starmer speak a few times. He can be inspiring. He's professional and logical. He'll approach the job with forensic detail.

Corbyn was great at rallies. I enjoyed attending them. And he brought a lot of new members in. But when he spoke in the Commons, even when what he was saying was spot on, it was hardly inspirational.

It's all a bit up in the air right now, but considering the situation we are in with this pandemic, then the double blow of Brexit waiting in the shadows, I think Starmer's barrister brain is needed, rather than rallying and sloganeering. Rayner is a great no-nonsense politician too. A good combo.
    Last edited by Toodles McGinty; 04/04/2020 at 12:11 PM.

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Starmer will be out of his depth in the top job, certainly the best of the candidates but he will disappoint the faithful,

bumbling Boris will not be bothered.

His battles with the frustrated lefty loser Corbynites will consume his time and his support for Corbyn haunt him.

Likes / Dislikes
    Boris must rubbing his hands at Starmer’s appointment, a bit of light relief for him in these troubled times. #labourinoppositionfortheforeseeable

Likes / Dislikes

I'd be both shocked and disappointed if it is RLB.
    Yes, Starmer was the one.

RLB would have been a guaranteed woeful disaster. Just checking the results to see that she received over 25% of the vote. Predictable, amazing and shocking - all at once.

15. Likes local liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Region View Post
    Yes, Starmer was the one.

RLB would have been a guaranteed woeful disaster. Just checking the results to see that she received over 25% of the vote. Predictable, amazing and shocking - all at once.

I agree. RLB didn't have a chance, IMO. She might be popular with Momentum and the Corbynistas. They seem to forget 2 lost elections under the leadership of the Messiah.

Likes / Dislikes
    It's all a bit up in the air right now, but considering the situation we are in with this pandemic, then the double blow of Brexit waiting in the shadows, I think Starmer's barrister brain is needed, rather than rallying and sloganeering. Raynor is a great no-nonsense politician too. A good combo.
    It'll be interesting to see how he deals with the Govt's apparent lack of progress, in negotiating permanent trade terms with the EU.....Challenge Boris as to why we're heading zombie-like for the 'cliffedge'!

On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

18. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how he deals with the Govt's apparent lack of progress, in negotiating permanent trade terms with the EU.....Challenge Boris as to why we're heading zombie-like for the 'cliffedge'!

It may just have slipped your notice, but apart not being too well at the moment, Boris has been tied up with more pressing items. Perhaps you could do us all a favour and ride your bike over that cliff edge you mention.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by justbecause View Post
    Boris must rubbing his hands at Starmer’s appointment, a bit of light relief for him in these troubled times. #labourinoppositionfortheforeseeable

Why do you think that?

1 ... LastLast
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

127 Wennington Road, SOUTHPORT, PR9 7AH
Our team of Veterinary Surgeons, trainee and qualified Veterinary Nurses and Receptionists aim to provide the highest possible standard of a personal, caring and friendly service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 214460
165 Lord Street, Opposite the Prince of Wales, Southport, PR8 1PF
In superlative classic surroundings, enjoy your tea and food in a building which you would be forgiven to think was in the heart of London! Actually we are opposite the Prince of Wales in Southport
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 540066

Unit 24 AK Business Park, Russell Road, Southport, PR9 7SA
Rimmers Windows, a family run business, has gone from strength to strength since opening in 1991 and has developed a reputation second to none for top quality windows and doors, available at very competitive rates.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 505511
33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)