southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport 20/20

Likes / Dislikes

Business …food shops (and budget consciousness)

With the current restrictions, long-standing routines have been disrupted. Unsuspected aspects of my psychology have surfaced. One example: never before have I had not one, but two jars of crunchy peanut butter in reserve. Peanut butter may be a special case.

Much of my long life, I have been a budget-minded shopper. I was an early patron of Aldi and Lidl shops in the days when there were far fewer of each and visiting one (or the other) required walking, cycling or busing a greater distance vis-à-vis Tesco or Sainsbury (or Safeway — I'm talking years ago!).
    Nowadays, I can afford to be a bit more relaxed to the extent, for instance, that I will pay a small premium for 100% (versus 95% + palm oil) peanut product. In fact I'm even choosier still. Now, I discriminate between Lidl's offering and that of its rival Aldi. Southport's Lidl on Virginia Street being only a short walk from Lord Street at Eastbank Street is easily accessible, if I desperately need any product that is less costly (compared to Sainsbury on Lord Street). However for peanut butter, it's Aldi, or nothing!

This realization came as something of a surprise to me. My behaviour (i.e. peanut butter preference) was strictly subconscious, until the virus-related restrictions and the rather startling empty shelves in food shops. My visits to Meols Cop are less frequent; and anyway, who wants to queue for 20 minutes outside the shop to acquire one or two items?
    [An aside: queues at the till have been shorter .]

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post
    An invitation to post about Southport's opportunities and any obstacles (such as they may be) to the town's achieving economic diversity and a better environment for all residents.

As has been suggested. Bring down property rating values, thus reducing rents and create the opportunity for intelligent unemployed people to start their own businesses up throughout the town.

Likes / Dislikes
    said's POST #17
    "As has been suggested. Bring down property rating values, thus reducing rents and create the opportunity for intelligent unemployed people to start their own businesses up throughout the town."

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Your recommendation is attractive, but vague. The economic repercussions are not simple and straightforward.
    Why do you suppose those "intelligent unemployed people" have not started businesses in Southport before now? Other nearby towns have comparable business environments; it is not as if Southport is at a comparative disadvantage, locally at least.

Likes / Dislikes
    29/03/2020 — Alikado's post #11:
    "If the virus does abate in a few months and restrictions are partially lifted during the summer and it could be boomtime for the UK Tourist industry as it would take the travel companies to gear up and other countries could still be under restrictions."

Unfortunately, it does not look like Southport's visitor economy is going to get up and running again, soon. In the meantime, very many people employed in leisure and hospitality are without their livelihoods.

With a few exceptions, English seaside resorts have fared rather badly; the visitor economy's seasonal cycles and the availability of low-cost holidays in sunnier climes tend to make many day trip destinations, or else decline generally. Southport is fortunate; it is near the reasonably well preserved coastal dune system and it has its golf courses. Proximity and good public transport links with Liverpool give us a worthwhile boost, as well.

Still, you have to wonder what long-term impact this virus containment regime will have on our town.

Likes / Dislikes
    29/03/2020 — Alikado's post #11:
    "If the virus does abate in a few months and restrictions are partially lifted during the summer and it could be boomtime for the UK Tourist industry as it would take the travel companies to gear up and other countries could still be under restrictions."

Unfortunately, it does not look like Southport's visitor economy is going to get up and running again, soon. In the meantime, very many people employed in leisure and hospitality are without their livelihoods.

With a few exceptions, English seaside resorts have fared rather badly; the visitor economy's seasonal cycles and the availability of low-cost holidays in sunnier climes tend to make many day trip destinations, or else decline generally. Southport is fortunate; it is near the reasonably well preserved coastal dune system and it has its golf courses. Proximity and good public transport links with Liverpool give us a worthwhile boost, as well.

Still, you have to wonder what long-term impact this virus containment regime will have on our town.
    on a purely health survival level the lockdowns our priority .its after that the real effect will be for buissnesses without support as all will be in recovery,so its going to be a hard time ,that's going to shape how were going to live in the future coming years and shape of the towns and citys we live.were getting a taste already as to how things will look if theres no nurture of the towns environment nd community ,personel and economic!

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jamyramy View Post
    on a purely health survival level the lockdowns our priority .its after that the real effect will be for buissnesses without support as all will be in recovery,so its going to be a hard time ,that's going to shape how were going to live in the future coming years and shape of the towns and citys we live.were getting a taste already as to how things will look if theres no nurture of the towns environment nd community ,personel and economic!
    It will be another 'event that changed the world'.

Likes / Dislikes

Community Too much reliance on the visitor economy?

Name:  S'portTheatre&ConventionCentre.png
Views: 0
Size:  78.8 KB
    Theatre & Convention Centre
    The company contracted to operate the Southport Theatre and Convention Centre, Bliss Space (Southport) Ltd, has gone into liquidation.

Dukes Ward's dynamic duo are on the case!
    Name:  CllrsPoo&Dawson.png
Size:  59.6 KB
    Cllrs Poo & Dawson

A casualty of the virus restrictions? Probably. But relying heavily on the visitor economy is inherently problematic.

Likes / Dislikes
    Name:  S'portTheatre&ConventionCentre.png
Size:  78.8 KB
    Theatre & Convention Centre
    The company contracted to operate the Southport Theatre and Convention Centre, Bliss Space (Southport) Ltd, has gone into liquidation.

Dukes Ward's dynamic duo are on the case!
    Name:  CllrsPoo&Dawson.png
Size:  59.6 KB
    Cllrs Poo & Dawson

A casualty of the virus restrictions? Probably. But relying heavily on the visitor economy is inherently problematic.
    It's been caused by the vortex of decline and austerity, the hotels in the town have been in decline for years making it more and difficult to attract conferences, the Tourism & Attractions and Conferences teams have been slashed. The last company that was running it couldn't make money and couldn't attract top names and I suspect that Bliss only took it on because they didn't want a another boarded up property on their doorstep.

Likes / Dislikes

Community Saturday, 30 May — stay home? or stay alert!

Cycling along the sea shore this morning the tide was out (of sight). Social distance was easily maintained among beach-goers.

Morrison's queue was not intolerable on this occasion — as well, I needed just 3 items. Most shoppers appeared more relaxed than previously; fewer masks and gloves. Self-raising flour in short supply!

Lord Street was still subdued, though strollers were more numerous.

Lockdown started with a bang!
    will it end …with a whimper?

Likes / Dislikes

c.f. this enthusiastic account

It has been many years past since I have seen so many people on the Beach, in the Parks, along the coastal road - absolutely amazing! From Weld Road entrance which was packed with cars, along the coastal road - where traffic was parked on the cycle path all the way from Weld Road to the Southport Beach slip road. The beach was very dry - no sign of mud just salt flats and hundreds of people having fun. Several people had set up wind breakers, or were carrying umbrellas as sun shades, there was even a large group of people carrying one of those big hooker pipes down on the beach.
    There was no litter left on the beach, from what I could see, but the few bins that were available, were overflowing. The parks were very busy with many people sitting around or playing ball games - no way can our park be closed after this.
    KFC on the Plaza were enjoying a phenomenal trade, as was the Turkish restaurant on Lord Street which had opened illegally, I believe - people were sitting down for lunch, and the Indian clothing shop nearby on Lord Street was also open. Bit unfair to local traders, I thought. A wonderful glimpse of past times in Southport.

Let the good times roll (…courtesy our resident sceptic)

Likes / Dislikes

Likes / Dislikes

Post …an historical aside

Name:  1850_sea wall image.JPG
Size:  47.7 KB
    Image from a public information board

Name:  1850 sea wall nr pumping sta.JPG
Size:  79.8 KB
    1850 sea wall (near pumping station)

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by MICK/GILLY View Post
    Why did we need a suspension bridge when we used to have a normal bridge and a normal bridge would have done again and maybe cheaper.
    Although I do think the bridge a lovely backdrop..... of a pyramid hidden in plain sight !.

That bridge is overkill in more ways than one. Cable stayed bridges are generally used to run over far wider stretches of water as opposed to a comparatively small lake, and it certainly does not compliment Victorian style Southport.

Likes / Dislikes
    said's POST #17
    "As has been suggested. Bring down property rating values, thus reducing rents and create the opportunity for intelligent unemployed people to start their own businesses up throughout the town."

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Your recommendation is attractive, but vague. The economic repercussions are not simple and straightforward.
    Why do you suppose those "intelligent unemployed people" have not started businesses in Southport before now? Other nearby towns have comparable business environments; it is not as if Southport is at a comparative disadvantage, locally at least.

Unemployment is very high in Southport and rent for even the tiniest shop is £7000 a year, then with the overheads rates, electricity etc., it is basically impossible to make any decent wages unless business owners have built up a clientele or have outside or chain support.

Likes / Dislikes

Arrow What sort of businesses?

As has been suggested. Bring down property rating values, thus reducing rents and create the opportunity for intelligent unemployed people to start their own businesses up throughout the town. said post #17

Unemployment is very high in Southport and rent for even the tiniest shop is £7000 a year, then with the overheads rates, electricity etc., it is basically impossible to make any decent wages unless business owners have built up a clientele or have outside or chain support. said post #29
    Posts 17 & 29 advocate "intelligent unemployed people" setting-up their own businesses. It has primarily been retail and other small leisure businesses calling for relief from rents and rates. The implication appears to be that Southport's unemployed want to start up shops as opposed to for instance online services or engineering businesses.
    Perhaps you'd elaborate on how reducing "property rating values" will have the result you suggest. Are you saying Southport needs more boutiques in spite of a severe decline in bricks and mortar retail locally and nationally? In principle at least, business rates fund the services that allow businesses to prosper. What about that side of the equation?

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

165 Lord Street, Opposite the Prince of Wales, Southport, PR8 1PF
In superlative classic surroundings, enjoy your tea and food in a building which you would be forgiven to think was in the heart of London! Actually we are opposite the Prince of Wales in Southport
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 540066
178 Bispham Road, Southport, PR9 7DF
Although mainly catering for the family cyclist, our business encompasses all aspects of cycling.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 228805

4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788
106 - 114 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AJ
Big brands, big deals, 250 machines displayed, tractors, chainsaws, shredders, cultivators, aerators, vacs, trimmers, robot mowers, authorised warranty, most makes, est. 66 years
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 535369

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)