southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    Agree....The 'why should I change my ways, when those in China, the USA, etc, are not' types.

Worth noting that concerned folk (self included) have been midering Govt departments like the DfT and the Treasury, for the past twenty years with little effect.....My angle has been repeated requests to use a realistic portion of the annual roads budget to finance Dutch-style cycle infrastructure.

It's accepted that electric traction is preferable to fossil-fuelled. Yet an electric car costs £30,000 or more, whereas a very decent electric bike is much more affordable at around £2k. A bikes battery can power a 50km round trip - more than enough for most commutes. But without a safe good-quality national cycle infrastructure, who is going to buy them?

I fully support the aims of XR...Writing letters, etc to Govts has got us next to nowhere - so getting out there now and making our feelings know loud and clear is the way to go!
    Yet this numpty is stopping people getting to work on electrified public transport!

As to "making your feelings known" we know you hate cars full stop!

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Agree....The 'why should I change my ways, when those in China, the USA, etc, are not' types.

Worth noting that concerned folk (self included) have been midering Govt departments like the DfT and the Treasury, for the past twenty years with little effect.....My angle has been repeated requests to use a realistic portion of the annual roads budget to finance Dutch-style cycle infrastructure.

It's accepted that electric traction is preferable to fossil-fuelled. Yet an electric car costs £30,000 or more, whereas a very decent electric bike is much more affordable at around £2k. A bikes battery can power a 50km round trip - more than enough for most commutes. But without a safe good-quality national cycle infrastructure, who is going to buy them?

I fully support the aims of XR...Writing letters, etc to Govts has got us next to nowhere - so getting out there now and making our feelings know loud and clear is the way to go!
    You don't let go do you? when will you recognise that the bike will never be the vehicle of mass transport either for goods or people, we could spend millions on your beloved cycle infrastructure, yet it would very much need to targeted at specific areas, university towns/cities, towns or cities with major employers within the centre.

In most cases major employers are based away from town centres, with employees travelling from the surrounding area as well as from the town, public transport simply can't cover all these diverse journeys and of course your dream of everyone cycling to work is not going to happen, particularly where people travel a good distance to work, where hours can be variable, where tools or equipment are carried.

Likes / Dislikes
    Who wants to cycle anywhere with the air full of lung damaging woodsmoke from dodgy stoves.

I' would go for a picnic but some Flippin Stupid C***

is chopping down the forest.

5. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Who wants to cycle anywhere with the air full of lung damaging woodsmoke from dodgy stoves.

I' would go for a picnic but some Flippin Stupid C***

is chopping down the forest.
    Don't worry! Soon all plastic bags will be done away with and we shall be using paper bags???

Likes / Dislikes
    Electric driven public transport - Electricity is generated from what??
    Greta Thunberg has urged the Protesters to continue breaking the law, according to MSN. MP's are worried that someone will get killed!

Do you realise what type of people you are supporting?

Bradbrook openly states she co-founded XR following a drug-induced experience. She explained on the Emerge website: “Supported by my experience on psychedelics, what’s made a difference for me with Extinction Rebellion is the ability and willingness to face the grief and the trauma of these times. … Grief is an essential part of this process because there’s something about grieving that opens the space for love, which opens the space for courage— and courage will be essential in this struggle against climate change.”

At the Fifth International Conference on Psychedelic Consciousness in London, besides Bradbrook the speakers include Amanda Feilding, Countess of Wemyss and March, the founder and director of the Beckley Foundation who convened numerous “pivotal” seminars at the House of Lords to promote the legalisation of all drugs. Feilding, who used LSD in the 1960s as “a psychovitamin”, is known for drilling a hole in her own head to expose the dura mater (the membrane surrounding the brain), a technique known as trepanning, in order to reach a “higher state of consciousness”. Other speakers include David Nutt, the Edmond J. Safra chair in Neuropsychopharmacology at Imperial College London. Nutt, together with Feilding and the Beckley Foundation, carried out experiments in the effects of LSD on the brain in 2015, which was expanded to research on “LSD and creativity and problem solving”. Nutt argues that horseback riding is more dangerous than consuming “ecstasy”, or MDMA, a dangerous methamphetamine.

Well - if governments want to encourage panic among the naive and the plain nut jobs - then they should expect mass hysteria!

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    You don't let go do you? when will you recognise that the bike will never be the vehicle of mass transport either for goods or people, we could spend millions on your beloved cycle infrastructure, yet it would very much need to targeted at specific areas, university towns/cities, towns or cities with major employers within the centre....In most cases major employers are based away from town centres, with employees travelling from the surrounding area
    The bike can (and does elsewhere) serve perfectly well for around 30% of all journeys, e.g. in NL.....Only difference is they have a well-designed national network of safe routes - whereas we still don't.

Let's take a typical commute in Sefton, an individual lives in Formby and goes to/from Liverpool 5 days a week by car. He/she spends over half the journey crawling in stop-start tailbacks all the way from Thornton, chucking out masses of CO2. A safe dedicated traffic-free cycleway connecting Formby with the city centre would allow easy two-way passage on an e-bike.
    Build it and they will come!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    The bike can (and does elsewhere) serve perfectly well for around 30% of all journeys, e.g. in NL.....Only difference is they have a well-designed national network of safe routes - whereas we still don't.

Let's take a typical commute in Sefton, an individual lives in Formby and goes to/from Liverpool 5 days a week by car. He/she spends over half the journey crawling in stop-start tailbacks all the way from Thornton, chucking out masses of CO2. A safe dedicated traffic-free cycleway connecting Formby with the city centre would allow easy two-way passage on an e-bike.
    You keep mentioning the Netherlands as an idyllic place, apart from the obvious point of why your here not there, maybe its this ;

Lobby group calls for action on polluting wood-burning stoves

The government should discourage the use of wood-burning stoves in the Netherlands because of the impact on health and air quality, a group made up of local councils, research institutes and local health councils said on Tuesday. The wood smoke and health platform has been researching the effect of stoves for the past 2.5 years and says action is needed to reduce the impact.

Read more at DutchNews.nl:

As to more cycle lanes what for ? cyclists in their pantyhose don't use them.

Likes / Dislikes
    A) You keep mentioning the Netherlands as an idyllic place, apart from the obvious point of why your here not there,

B) Lobby group calls for action on polluting wood-burning stoves

C) As to more cycle lanes what for ? cyclists in their pantyhose don't use them.
    A) I was there, lived and worked in NL for a few years. It was the lack of proper cycle facilities when I returned to UK, that prompted me into action - to call for similar high quality infrastructure here.

B) You keep on about woodstoves, but are you comparing apples with apples? Ours are certified by Defra to be smokeless, whereas many older models out there are not....It's like comparing modern low-emission cars with dirty old 'smokey joes' (e.g. VW diesel cars ).

C) A quality national network of cycleways is for all to use. Very few of the many cyclists I rode amongst in NL were enthusiasts in pantyhose. Just everyday folk, wearing everyday clothing, who happened to use bikes to get them to work, the shops, schools, cafes, the beach, etc.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes

Sending loads of written letters to the government - uses paper, paper is made from wood, wood comes from trees. Using printer inks which use petroleum. Or e-mailing loads of letters using a computer run on electricity.....

Just think of the rare metals in those batteries - they are rare because there is less of them and they are only found in certain regions of the world - and they will not last forever. Then of course there is the acid in those batteries - and where will they be disposed of as motorists/cyclists change them? The batteries need to be recharged - with electricity. Some of our electric power plants, 45% - are either coal or gas fired. - just saying is all!

XR are a whole load of nut crackers!

Likes / Dislikes
    A) I was there, lived and worked in NL for a few years. It was the lack of proper cycle facilities when I returned to UK, that prompted me into action - to call for similar high quality infrastructure here.

B) You keep on about woodstoves, but are you comparing apples with apples? Ours are certified by Defra to be smokeless, whereas many older models out there are not....It's like comparing modern low-emission cars with dirty old 'smokey joes' (e.g. VW diesel cars ).

C) A quality national network of cycleways is for all to use. Very few of the many cyclists I rode amongst in NL were enthusiasts in pantyhose. Just everyday folk, wearing everyday clothing, who happened to use bikes to get them to work, the shops, schools, cafes, the beach, etc.

I am definitely talking about Defra certified stoves which are certainly not as clean as modern VW diesel cars.

The smoke produced from wood stoves and fireplaces contains over 100
    different chemical compounds, many of which are harmful and potentially
    carcinogenic. Wood smoke pollutants include fine particulates, nitrogen
    oxides, sulfur oxides, carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds, dioxins,
    and furans. Breathing air containing wood smoke can cause a number of
    serious respiratory and cardiovascular health problems. Those at greatest
    health risk from wood smoke include infants, children, pregnant women, the
    elderly, and those suffering from allergies, asthma, bronchitis, emphysema,
    pneumonia, or any other heart or lung disease.
    Fine particulate matter, the very small particles that make up smoke and soot, may be the most
    dangerous component of wood smoke pollution. The most harmful particles are those ten microns or
    less in diameter (a human hair is approximately 70 microns in diameter). These particles can easily be
    inhaled deep into the lungs, collecting in the tiny air sacs (called alveoli) where oxygen enters the blood,
    causing breathing difficulties and sometimes permanent lung damage. Inhalation of fine particulate
    matter can increase cardiovascular problems, irritate lungs and eyes, trigger headaches and allergic
    reactions, and worsen respiratory diseases such as asthma, emphysema, and bronchitis, which could
    result in premature death

That’s because the latest government findings reveal that a single wood burner generates twice the number of harmful PM2.5 particles than a diesel exhaust.

A joint study by Kings College and the National Physical Laboratory, for example estimates in London and Birmingham, that wood burning is responsible for “between 23 to 31 per cent of PM2.5 emissions”.

Moreover, a paper by the British Medical Journal found that just one “wood log burning stove” sends more PM2.5 into the atmosphere than a “1,000 petrol cars”. [

You will have to get real on these cancer causing stoves you pedal and think about peoples health.

Likes / Dislikes
    A) I am definitely talking about Defra certified stoves which are certainly not as clean as modern VW diesel cars.

B) You will have to get real on these cancer causing stoves you pedal and think about peoples health.
    A) Disagree.....You only have to be behind one of those stinky old VW tailpipes to witness the puffs of smoke when they accelerate. Whereas there is nothing visible from a clean smokeless stove flue. This is thanks to cleanburn technology, where any smoke is recirculated back into the fire.

B) Smoke is unburnt fuel, a sure indication of incomplete combustion. Btw, gas fires if not correctly maintained, will produce smoke and soot....I assume yours (if you have one) benefits from an annual service/checkup?

N.B. If you know of an alternative form of zero-net-carbon heating, do let us all in on it!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    A) Disagree.....You only have to be behind one of those stinky old VW tailpipes to witness the puffs of smoke when they accelerate. Whereas there is nothing visible from a clean smokeless stove flue. This is thanks to cleanburn technology, where any smoke is recirculated back into the fire.

B) Smoke is unburnt fuel, a sure indication of incomplete combustion. Btw, gas fires if not correctly maintained, will produce smoke and soot....I assume yours (if you have one) benefits from an annual service/checkup?

N.B. If you know of an alternative form of zero-net-carbon heating, do let us all in on it!

Tell me do you have particulate filters ?

EGR or exhaust gas recirculation is old hat on cars.

DPFs remove over 99.9% of particles, including ultrafine ones on cars

Catalytic Converter ?

Adblue.

Yearly tests after three years old.

Computer monitoring and control of the entire combustion process.

What tests are mandatory for your pallet burning lung cloggers.

Likes / Dislikes

Shouldn't really get involved with this yet again, but you do come out with some tosh, Formby to Liverpool, 12.7 miles, average travel time on the good old push bike 1 hour plus, now for most people that is longer than they would wish to be sat on a bike, arriving at work, hot, sweaty in summer, quite likely cold and wet in winter, then start work.

Dependent on the job, do you really want to start a working day already having expended a fair degree of energy and knowing you've got to do the same again after work? alternatively if your job requires a presentable appearance and dress, do you really want to turn up looking like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards and got dressed in the dark?

Anyone needing to carry anything, whether it be paperwork or tools is lumbered straight away, don't mention panniers or trailers, these are just more weight to drag around.

Put it this way I doubt very much that YOU use the bike to get to your work and move your tools and equipment, I don't expect you to, why do you expect others to do so.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    A) Shouldn't really get involved with this yet again, but you do come out with some tosh, Formby to Liverpool, 12.7 miles, average travel time on the good old push bike 1 hour plus,.....Dependent on the job, do you really want to start a working day already having expended a fair degree of energy

B) Anyone needing to carry anything, whether it be paperwork or tools is lumbered straight away, don't mention panniers or trailers, these are just more weight to drag around.

C) Put it this way I doubt very much that YOU use the bike to get to your work and move your tools and equipment, I don't expect you to, why do you expect others to do so.
    A) We're talking about e-bikes (electric traction) here, not your regular pushbikes.....Speed 15mph and with full boost (sport setting) you're only required to turn the pedals. No need to apply any real force to them, but you can if you want - so no sweat.

B) Ortlieb make fully waterproof panniers, perfect for paperwork and a fair bit more. I have panniers to bring back my shopping, particularly on a weekend when the works vehicles normally put away.

C) Well, obviously wouldn't expect a tradesman to use a bike if he needs half a ton of tools and materials etc in the back.....In my case I cover a wide area. Can be anywhere from Preston to Bootle to Wigan. Dependent on the jobs in hand, am also carrying a fair weight. Load may include a stove and flue-liner, sand/cement/granite, tools, nets of logs, etc - and a second man.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Just think if you were to stop flogging pollution and wildlife destruction you could stay on your bike and be actually green.

You would be even fitter and not have the whiff of hypocrisy following you round, you must have noticed the smell it is overwhelming to most.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

25-27 Forest Road, Southport, PR8 6JD
Come to visit Wallpaper John@ Forest Road Wallcoverings today for Southport's finest range of wallcoverings with over 1000 designs always in store.
WEBSITE
33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333

106 - 114 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AJ
Big brands, big deals, 250 machines displayed, tractors, chainsaws, shredders, cultivators, aerators, vacs, trimmers, robot mowers, authorised warranty, most makes, est. 66 years
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 535369
2 Cambride Arcade, Southport, PR8 1AS
Established in Cambridge Walks for 9 years, John Antony specialises in different quality designer footwear and bags.
WEBSITE     TEL: 549729

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)