Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
I immediately saw one error in his letter. Bills are not automatically given royal assent when Parliament is prorogued. They are either killed, or carried forward to the next session. I checked the bill in question, and it's still awaiting royal assent.

You would think that Lowe would know the Parliamentary procedure for bills that are still in passage. If not, surely he should have checked beforehand, rather than ending up with egg on his face.

I'm confused as to why Parliament were unable to legislate during the 6 month extension period. I can't claim to have any knowledge in this particular area, but in my eyes, Lowe has blown his credibility. This wasn't the first extension to Article 50. I was under the impression that Parliamentary life went on as usual.

Given Lowe's first mistake, it's obvious that he didn't consult an expert, or a constitutional lawyer, so I would take his letter with a pinch of salt. I stand to be corrected if anyone does have irrefutable information to support his claim.

There have been several applications to challenge the Brexit extensions. It is not in April we left but in March, in accordance with article fifty. Several leading QC's including Martin Howe, Stanley Brodie and others have all agreed that this is correct. The court hearings on this began in April of this year.