southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst ... ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Your right it certainly isn't perfect by a long way.
    We need to get on though and holding out is damaging the country.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Your right it certainly isn't perfect by a long way.
    We need to get on though and holding out is damaging the country.
    I feel Johnson is hoping Brexit " fatigue " will carry this deal through, certainly most of the country and I imagine many MPs are tired of the whole thing.

Apart from moving the EU border into the Irish Sea and moving many rights to a political "promise" rather than the current legislated position what has actually changed?

If anything this deal is even worse for the majority of people than the derided May deal.

4. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    Can you explain to us "what the country voted for" and how you know?

Only all the rest of us know is that people voted for something just slightly unclear called "Leave".

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christ THREE years down the line and you don't know what was voted for in a TWO option referendum. No wonder the Country is in turmoil if seemingly like you millions do not understand what the TWO options meant. What a damning indictment on our Education system.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    Christ THREE years down the line and you don't know what was voted for in a TWO option referendum. No wonder the Country is in turmoil if seemingly like you millions do not understand what the TWO options meant. What a damning indictment on our Education system.
    The realisation of what was voted for has still not entered the consciousness of too many, sure it seemed to be a great idea to give the Westminster bubble a good kicking and leave the EU, but the consequences don't appear to have much importance or been given much thought.

Even now this "new" Johnson deal gives away much more than it gains, but however it goes the majority certainly want it ended one way or the other.

Personally I am saddened by how far this country has fallen both nationally and internationally, thanks to our current government and the total farcical manner of Brexit.

7. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    Can you explain to us "what the country voted for" and how you know?

Only all the rest of us know is that people voted for something just slightly unclear called "Leave".

I look forward to hearing from you.

I am sorry genuinely if you don't understand the definition of the word leave but perhaps it is best explained by you thinking of the definition of the word remain,
    If the vote outcome had been remain how would you feel if the government started withdrawing us bit by bit from the EU.

The binary choices put to us had a purpose in that it made it simple.

Yes the decision is simple but the process can be difficult just as in say buying a house the decision is simple but the process is more complicated.

But no right thinking person would think it mean't you weren't getting the whole house because complications arised.

Likes / Dislikes
    I am sorry genuinely if you don't understand the definition of the word leave but perhaps it is best explained by you thinking of the definition of the word remain,
    If the vote outcome had been remain how would you feel if the government started withdrawing us bit by bit from the EU.

The binary choices put to us had a purpose in that it made it simple.

Yes the decision is simple but the process can be difficult just as in say buying a house the decision is simple but the process is more complicated.

But no right thinking person would think it mean't you weren't getting the whole house because complications arised.
    I am totally clear what the Country Voted for, it was explained to everyone. To trigger Article 50 which was to enter a 2 year maximum negotiation period over the T's & C's , at no time did anyone suggest that we would or could leave without a deal.

10. Likes Toodles McGinty, silver fox, The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    I am totally clear what the Country Voted for, it was explained to everyone. To trigger Article 50 which was to enter a 2 year maximum negotiation period over the T's & C's , at no time did anyone suggest that we would or could leave without a deal.
    You trip yourself up by the facts we did in fact vote for as near to no deal as we could have, the MP's after the article 50 confirmatory vote introduced more requirements and negotiation.

Who pressed for immediate invocation of article 50 ?

non other than Jeremy Corbyn well before any stipulations for the requirements he now has.

We were told unequivocally a vote to leave meant losing access to the single market. Politicians from David Cameron downwards said it would involve leaving the customs union.

We were told This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide.

Johnsons bill is certainly a compromise on what people voted for.

Likes / Dislikes
    You trip yourself up by the facts we did in fact vote for as near to no deal as we could have, the MP's after the article 50 confirmatory vote introduced more requirements and negotiation.

Michael Gove:

Writing in the Daily Mail in March, Mr Gove had said: "Some may say that ditching (Theresa May's negotiated) deal will allow us to leave without any compromises.
    "But we didn’t vote to leave without a deal. That wasn’t the message of the campaign I helped lead. During that campaign, we said we should do a deal with the EU and be part of the network of free trade deals that covers all Europe, from Iceland to Turkey.
    "Leaving without a deal on March 29 would not honour that commitment. It would undoubtedly cause economic turbulence. Almost everyone in this debate accepts that."

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    Michael Gove:

Writing in the Daily Mail in March, Mr Gove had said: "Some may say that ditching (Theresa May's negotiated) deal will allow us to leave without any compromises.
    "But we didn’t vote to leave without a deal. That wasn’t the message of the campaign I helped lead. During that campaign, we said we should do a deal with the EU and be part of the network of free trade deals that covers all Europe, from Iceland to Turkey.
    "Leaving without a deal on March 29 would not honour that commitment. It would undoubtedly cause economic turbulence. Almost everyone in this debate accepts that."

Thais as near to "no deal" as we could have.

We were told unequivocally a vote to leave meant losing access to the single market. Politicians from David Cameron downwards said it would involve leaving the customs union.

Free trade without being under the control of the EU, nobody has suggested not trading with the EU even the proponents of a so called clean break want free trade deals asap.

Likes / Dislikes

Thais as near to "no deal" as we could have.

Free trade without being under the control of the EU, nobody has suggested not trading with the EU even the proponents of a so called clean break want free trade deals asap.
    You will also then be aware that the lying leavers insisted that existing trade deals would simply transfer without a hitch, we now know that is a long, long way from reality.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    Michael Gove:

Two days before the Referendum - Michael Gove told the BBC: "We'll be in a position I think to secure a better deal than the one that we have now."
    Turkey was not even considered at the time of the Referendum - I would suggest that Gove's statement that you have given, was made much later.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Two days before the Referendum - Michael Gove told the BBC: "We'll be in a position I think to secure a better deal than the one that we have now."
    Turkey was not even considered at the time of the Referendum - I would suggest that Gove's statement that you have given, was made much later.
    The quote mentions May's negotiated deal, so Gove was obviously speaking in March 2019.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Tory-MPs.html

17. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Boris Johnston has now written to EU to request an extension - sort of

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    You will also then be aware that the lying leavers insisted that existing trade deals would simply transfer without a hitch, we now know that is a long, long way from reality.

You keep perpetuating the lying mantra,
    I suppose to convince yourself that's why you lost the intellectual argument but you must ask yourself why did the political experts the MP's overwhelmingly vote to trigger article 50 if they thought they had been lied to ?

As to trade deals we aren't free yet so you will have to keep that one on ice.

Likes / Dislikes
    You keep perpetuating the lying mantra,
    I suppose to convince yourself that's why you lost the intellectual argument but you must ask yourself why did the political experts the MP's overwhelmingly vote to trigger article 50 if they thought they had been lied to ?

As to trade deals we aren't free yet so you will have to keep that one on ice.
    OK tell me that we weren't told lies on very important aspects of Brexit, then just as an illustration of how stupid and totally uninformed our politicians were, read this, these comments were made and can be readily checked from many sources.

David Davis who was the head of negotiations with the EU, when it became clear that EU trade deals wouldn't simply transfer after Brexit, then came out with the sort of nonsense that would be funny if it wasn't so tragic, his "new" plan was to negotiate individual deals with individual countries within the EU, encompassing areas of importance to those countries.

For instance he thought that doing some sort of deal with Germany over cars and parts would bring a mutually beneficial agreement, with France the emphasis would be on wine and food, seemingly oblivious that the basis of EU trade deals was dealing with the EU as a whole.

You keep parotting this intellectual argument that I/we supposedly lost, I/we lost nothing, the settlement will come when/if we actually leave, if the economy and prosperity grow as leavers insist, then I will hold my hand up and say I lost, however I fear it is more likely to be "told you so" and we all lose.

21. Likes AdmiralAckbar, Toodles McGinty liked this post
FirstFirst ... ... LastLast
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808
25-27 Forest Road, Southport, PR8 6JD
Come to visit Wallpaper John@ Forest Road Wallcoverings today for Southport's finest range of wallcoverings with over 1000 designs always in store.
WEBSITE

Unit 24 AK Business Park, Russell Road, Southport, PR9 7SA
Rimmers Windows, a family run business, has gone from strength to strength since opening in 1991 and has developed a reputation second to none for top quality windows and doors, available at very competitive rates.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 505511
Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Bradshawa Lane, Southport, PR8 3LG
Following a full time career, Jim has now settled in to a challenging and exciting role as club professional at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club.
WEBSITE     TEL: 577316

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)