UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

1. Published on: 05/10/2020 10:19 AMReported by: roving-eye
    A businessman is hitting back at demands from local Lib Dems to drive new cycle lanes through Birkdale Village.

Lee Durkin, who has worked in his family business, MD Joinery, since 1997, has already seen the devastation that pop up cycle lanes have caused businesses in Southport town centre.

And the Conservative Party candidate for Birkdale Ward is warning of the dangers of extending the lanes from Southport town centre and through Birkdale.

Local Lib Dems Simon Shaw and Iain Brodie Browne revealed their calls for cycle lanes to blight Birkdale in their recent Birkdale Focus newsletter.

In the leaflet they said they have already met with Sefton Council’s Cycling Officer to discuss a cycling route through the area.

Lee Durkin said: “I have been contacted by a number of local residents about the recent leaflet distributed by local Liberal Democrat councillors, saying they are very concerned about their plans to create cycle lanes and electric charging points for cars in Birkdale .

“This is a hot topic among business owners in Southport town centre at the moment, who have seen these lanes imposed with no consultation at all and with devastating consequences for their shops, offices, restaurants and cafes.

“The new cycle lanes have seen a substantial number of vital parking spaces in Southport town centre lost, meaning customers can no longer drive in and park outside.

“This is at a time when businesses are desperately trying to survive and build themselves back after the Coronavirus pandemic.

“As an experienced businessman myself, I know how vital it is for customers to be able to park outside.

“Everyone in Birkdale knows one of the major problems in the area is a lack of parking. We need more parking spaces here, not more cycle lanes, which as the business owners in Southport town centre are finding out to their cost are unsightly, impractical and damaging to trade.

“Why on earth would Birkdale want them? And why are the Lib Dems holding secret meetings with council officers about bringing them here without business owners and local residents being consulted first?

“The new cycle lanes, in addition to the new electric charging points they propose, would reduce the number of available parking spaces in the village, and would cost Birkdale shops, restaurants and other businesses many thousands of pounds in lost revenue every year.

“I do believe the current Birkdale councillors have lost touch with the local residents and local businesses.”

Southport Conservative MP Damien Moore said: “I have received a substantial number of emails and letters from business owners in Southport town centre who are horrified at the impact these new cycle lanes are having on trade.

“I have long campaigned for more parking spaces in Southport town centre as well as free parking concessions such as first hour free.

“We want to see people being able to drive into places such as Southport town centre or Birkdale Village, being able to find parking spaces easily and cheaply, before enjoying their lunch or a coffee in local restaurants and cafes, and then loading up their cars with things they have bought in local shops.

“These new cycle lanes have proved to be disastrous in Southport town centre and calling for them to be extended through to Birkdale, which already suffers from a lack of available parking spaces, is baffling.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

Your Comments:

3. The PNP says:05/10/2020 10:44 AM
    Just what is the matter with these cycle-nimbys?

Southport - Birkdale is a low-lying area and will become one of the first places to flood out, due to our rising sealevels...Electric cars and bikes are a great way to reduce CO2 emissions, because they don't emit greenhouse gas or toxic fumes. Yet whenever a positive move is as much as suggested in the right direction - another nimby pops up to counter it - duh!
    Last edited by The PNP; 05/10/2020 at 11:25 AM.

4. Ric says:05/10/2020 10:52 AM
    I was looking at renting a shop in Hoghton Street but after speaking to some of the business owners along there i've decided to look elsewhere either Burscough or Ormskirk. I hope that Sefton council and Southport Bid have a contingency plan on how they are going to make up the shortfall in business and bid rates which they will lose over time.

5. Dislikes donkey22, The PNP, Sap33 disliked this post
  6. Anon says:05/10/2020 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post

Southport - Birkdale is a low-lying area and will become one of the first places to flood out, due to our rising sealevels...Electric cars and bikes are a great way to reduce CO2 emissions, because they don't emit greenhouse gas or toxic fumes. Yet whenever a positive move is as much as suggested in the right direction - another nimby pops up to counter it - duh!
    What's it got to do with you, I understand that you don't live in Southport?

7. Likes millsey, Kafoozalum liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22 disliked this post
  8. The PNP says:05/10/2020 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    What's it got to do with you, I understand that you don't live in Southport?
    I have lived on The Moss in W.Lancs for many years, and yes we still have our yard/workshop there......However, your information re my residential address is somewhat out of date. I moved back to town a couple of years ago, and have been on the Southport Council Tax register since then. :-)

So you see, I've as much to lose as the rest of the population, who now live precariously at sealevel. What I can't get my head around, is why there's always so much fuss about providing a strip of tarmac here and there for the bikes. Can these people in cars not park around the corner and walk a few hundred metres?

9. Likes Drugged Onions liked this post
  10. Little Londoner says:05/10/2020 12:43 PM
    I have lived on The Moss in W.Lancs for many years, and yes we still have our yard/workshop there......However, your information re my residential address is somewhat out of date. I moved back to town a couple of years ago, and have been on the Southport Council Tax register since then. :-)
    So let's get this straight you didn't live in Southport and you know Southport is not going to exist before long, what more evidence is required as proof that you are an absolute barmpot.

11. Likes SteveandLois liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22, Sap33 disliked this post
  12. Sap33 says:05/10/2020 12:54 PM

Agree that bikes reduce emissions, but while electric cars don’t spew out fumes from their exhausts, they indirectly produce emissions as the electricity needs to be produced from somewhere. In addition, the batteries are resource intensive (often in third world countries where their environmental standards are almost non existent) and in a few years time, there’s going to be need for consideration on what to do with the spent batteries/ how/if they can be recycled.

That said, more thought needs putting in to the whole transport infrastructure. Some proper thought needs to be put in place for cycle ways to keep cars and bikes separate, to encourage cycling like on the continent. If it were more convenient to cycle I’d hope more would, which would have a knock on effect for motorists as there’d be less traffic on the streets.

13. Likes The PNP liked this post
  14. Anon says:05/10/2020 01:12 PM

So you see, I've as much to lose as the rest of the population, who now live precariously at sealevel. What I can't get my head around, is why there's always so much fuss about providing a strip of tarmac here and there for the bikes. Can these people in cars not park around the corner and walk a few hundred metres?
    Whenever I've been to Birkdale recently, I've always had a problem parking and found that the side roads round there are already full of cars. If people can't park in Birkdale village, they'll just shop elsewhere or online.

And how many bikes have been using the lanes in Hoghton Street? Anyone know?

15. Likes SteveandLois liked this post
  16. The PNP says:05/10/2020 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    So let's get this straight you didn't live in Southport and you know Southport is not going to exist before long, what more evidence is required as proof that you are an absolute barmpot.
    I originally lived in Southport, then in the '70's relocated to The Moss - then moved back to Southport again.....Happy now?

17. The PNP says:05/10/2020 01:18 PM
    Whenever I've been to Birkdale recently, I've always had a problem parking and found that the side roads round there are already full of cars. If people can't park in Birkdale village, they'll just shop elsewhere or online.

Perhaps if more of the locals used their bikes, there'd be less demand for parking spaces, increasing the chance of you finding a space for your car!

18. Likes silver fox liked this post
    Dislikes justbecause, SteveandLois disliked this post
  19. sandGroundZero says:05/10/2020 01:21 PM
    Amplifying particular local grievances for perpetual campaigning is a technique the LimpDems have practised with such success that their opponents have adopted it.

This is no way to select representatives for local government

Safe cycling infrastructure is favoured more-or-less by all parties at national level and in principle (— who would speak-out for 'unsafe' roads?) The recent implementation of cycle routes by a Conservative party central government in disarray over virus restrictions is a new gripe over which to contest next year's Council elections. That seems not to matter to Conservative prospective Councillor Lee Durkin.

For what it's worth, cycling in Lord Street today (Monday), vehicle traffic was heavy and the air quality was noticeably stinky. Like many cyclists, I am a motor vehicle operator as well. The Emergency Active Travel Route at the centre of this storm in a tea cup will not change my habits one iota. Sadly however, they are unlikely to encourage many timid cyclists to brave the vehicle traffic. So, what is their real significance? I believe that they are a harbinger of future policy initiatives.

Councillors (and many MPs) do little apart from campaign and agitate for their respective parties. We need a better way for citizens to input their views for accountable, democratic local government.
    Last edited by sandGroundZero; 05/10/2020 at 04:01 PM.

20. Dislikes Sap33 disliked this post
  21. Sap33 says:05/10/2020 01:33 PM

Birkdale is and always has been a nightmare to park, maybe getting people out of cars and onto bikes may help?

As for bikes using the cycle lane, while not many, it’s still a lot less than the number of cars choosing to ignore the giveaway signs on Queens Road! (Like the halfwit taxi driver who was trying to force his way passed me this afternoon as I cycled into Queens Road from Hoghton Street!)

22. Likes donkey22, The PNP liked this post
  23. said says:05/10/2020 02:05 PM
    I have been to almost every UK region on a bike, and as far as I am concerned if a cyclist cannot negotiate the relatively quiet roads of Southport without cycle lanes then they should not be riding a bike in the first place. Cycle lanes act to obstruct free flowing traffic, there are many occasions when even the best intentioned motorist has to veer on to the cycle lane due to sudden traffic events, cyclists are more aware of road conditions and can take evasive action, which is far easier when there are parked cars on the road. In many instances, I have found a cycle path to be more dangerous than normal roads, particularly when emergency vehicles are coming through.

I would suggest the new cycle lanes have very little to do with 'safe cycling' and more to do with reducing traffic in Southport to an even greater extent than it is now. A great idea which falls short when you consider a cyclist having to balance a number of shopping bags on the handlebars.

24. Likes Anon, libraryguy liked this post
    Dislikes The PNP, Sap33, donkey22 disliked this post
  25. Anon says:05/10/2020 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sap33 View Post
    Birkdale is and always has been a nightmare to park, maybe getting people out of cars and onto bikes may help?

As for bikes using the cycle lane, while not many, it’s still a lot less than the number of cars choosing to ignore the giveaway signs on Queens Road! (Like the halfwit taxi driver who was trying to force his way passed me this afternoon as I cycled into Queens Road from Hoghton Street!)
    Getting people out of cars and onto bikes would help. The problem is, judging by the zero impact previous cycle initiatives have had, such as the Cycle Town fiasco some years ago, adding more cycle lanes will not change people's habits in the slightest. Apart from going to town less often, if at all.

26. Likes silver fox liked this post
  27. The PNP says:05/10/2020 03:25 PM
    Getting people out of cars and onto bikes would help. The problem is, judging by the zero impact previous cycle initiatives have had, such as the Cycle Town fiasco some years ago, adding more cycle lanes will not change people's habits in the slightest. Apart from going to town less often, if at all.
    That's because there's only ever been a half-hearted approach to cycling here. With hardly any joined-up routes, and fines being regularly dished-out to riders trying to get safely across town (on Chapel St), Southport 'Cycling Town' has been a standing joke! Until people can get from A to B on a proper network of safe continuous routes, uptake of cycling will remain limited.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations