UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

1. Published on: 14/03/2019 04:25 PMReported by: rogerblaxall
    Selfish parkers on a cycle path adjacent to busy Southport Road got their just desserts today after the authorities swooped to hand out numerous fixed penalty notices.

QLocal's Ormskirk reporter Roger Blaxall snapped these cars and a van which were booked and face a hefty fine for parking illegally.

The selfish parking has long been a bone of contention in the area with Scarisbrick parish councillors raising the matter with police on numerous occasions; many of those booked work at either Halliwell Jones or the Honda dealers.

2. Dislikes Knownothing disliked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

Your Comments:

4. donkey22 says:14/03/2019 05:36 PM
    Long overdue. Well done to all those concerned.

5. Dislikes Knownothing disliked this post
  6. chrismatt. says:14/03/2019 09:36 PM
    I have never seen a cyclist on that path!

7. Dislikes The PNP disliked this post
  8. lambsey says:14/03/2019 10:42 PM
    the cars are parked on the slip road which was built well over 40 years ago so there was safe parking off the dangerous, busy A570 into Southport. They look to be safely parked leaving lots of free space so if any idiot cyclists cannot see them and have an accident then it is their own stupid fault for not looking where they are going. Any car owners booked should appeal as the slip road was built well before any "cycle paths " were even dreamed of so there was safe parking

9. Dislikes The PNP disliked this post
  10. Knownothing says:14/03/2019 10:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerblaxall View Post
    Selfish parkers on a cycle path adjacent to busy Scarisbrick New Road got their just desserts today after the authorities swooped to hand out numerous fixed penalty notices.

QLocal's Ormskirk reporter Roger Blaxall snapped these cars and a van which were booked and face a hefty fine for parking illegally.

The selfish parking has long been a bone of contention in the area with Scarisbrick parish councillors raising the matter with police on numerous occasions; many of those booked work at either Halliwell Jones or the Honda dealers.
    The notices handed out today were not in fact fines, but notice of intention to fine those people, in the future, who park illegally. The current positioning of the vehicles was at the request of the police, the same authority who placed notices on the vehicles today.
    This has been an ongoing issue for some time now and one that seems to be discriminating against those who are parked during working hours and more than likely staff of local businesses.
    I understand that blocking the footpath and cycle path is an issue for the users of them, but they are, as the pictures prove allowing access along the length of it. A fact that can be backed up by individuals seen taking photographs and then continuing to drive their vehicle along the cycle path, ie NOT BLOCKED.
    I drive this route daily when the businesses are closed and no staff will be parking close by and count, along that stretch of Southport Rd in excess of 20 vehicles, sometimes numbering close to 30.
    Indeed tonight I drove along and have seen a taxi parked adjacent to a lamp post so close that nobody could walk on the pavement between them both, a large van on the opposite side completely blocking the cycle lane. I guess these would be residents vehicles as they are there on a continual basis, 7 days a week, not just 5 or 6.
    Please tell me why there should be a rule for one and an exemption for another? After all if the vehicles in the images are breaking the law, surely those that are parked at different hours are breaking the same laws?
    Could this not be misconstrued as discrimination, the same could be said as regards the original post which doesn’t show vehicles other than those opposite the named business premises?
    Over a period of years, there have been numerous cases of vandalism to vehicles parked in the area local to where the pictures have been taken, Southport Rd / Pool Hey Lane, scratching of cars, nails thrown on the cycle paths and pavements, dog faeces placed on vehicles. This I guess would not be those people who park there but disgruntled residents, pathway users or other business owners in the area. Do we really think this is more acceptable than the parking of the cars themselves? ME, I would consider it not only a criminal offence, but more selfish than the parking itself. Mr Blaxhall, how would you feel if you returned to your vehicle and found it damaged or vandalised and you had to pay for the repairs? A bit peeved no doubt? There’s been much said about the parking issue but not the fore mentioned criminal acts that have cost people and insurance companies several thousands of pounds. Is this something that as a society we endorse?
    Looking at the images posted, it is quite evident that a portion of the pavement is unusable due to overgrown hedges and undergrowth. This is compounding the issue raised regards useability of the footpath in general. Maybe the person(s) responsible for the aforementioned could be brought to task and asked to act accordingly and contribute to easing the access and parking problems.
    ALL of Southport and the surrounding areas have ongoing issues with parking, a national issue in all fairness. I myself have had to cope in my 2 previous job roles with parking restrictions,as many people do and I try my best to park with reasonable consideration for residents and other highway users. The same as I can see in the images. I am no legal expert, but actually want to know what law(s) are broken to justify the potential ticketing of the parked vehicles, can anybody please provide specific details? The businesses along Southport Rd provide employment and financial benefit to not only local people but the local community, they raise monies for charities, that doesn’t make them all bad in my eyes.
    Perhaps a way forward could be, the business owners or representatives, local residents and land owners, highway and footpath users, parish councillors, policing and parking authorities all meet up to discuss the problem and try and reach an amicable conclusion. Without the unnecessary interaction of the media “stirring the pot”.
    To clarify a few points;
    I do not work at these premises or own them.
    I regularly cycle along that stretch of path and have never been hindered by or had cause for concern regards any parked vehicles.
    I suffer from similar parking woes, with cars left outside my house on a daily basis, even as long as 38 days without moving in one instance.
    In my 2 previous job roles, I have had to contend with parking restrictions local to the businesses I worked at. But did park with reasonable consideration to residents and other highway users. The same as what I perceive the vehicles have in the images.
    As previously stated, if there has been contravention of regulations then ALL offenders need to be dealt with ( look at the cars in the back ground in the pictures) as they are breaking the same laws in my opinion. Surely the police of parking authorities do not want to be viewed as victimising, discriminating or targeting certain sectors of the community and not others. Would that in itself not be illegal?
    A large dollop of common sense needs to be digested by all when viewing and dealing with this and similar issues that occur daily.
    Last edited by Knownothing; 14/03/2019 at 11:26 PM.

11. Likes donkey22, jonnybgood liked this post
  12. iggsy says:15/03/2019 07:58 AM
    The fact of the matter is that t's a cycle lane, no matter that 40 years ago you could park there - 40 years ago you could park on the promenade and not get a ticket either.
    The coastal road also has a designated footpath/cycle lane. Several years ago during the airshow weekend, drivers decided to park their cars along it and hence, all received a ticket.
    You say one law for one and another for someone else and use inflammatory terms such as victimisation, would you say the same for this location?
    Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it wrong. Would you speed on a road because you thought the posted limited didn't suit you?
    Selfish parking seems to be the blight of modern Britain and more people are taking the attitude of "Me first".
    I commend the police for taking action, regardless if you have a problem with it. If residents wish to park there, then lobby the council for suitable residents permits like in most other similar areas around the country.

13. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Dislikes jonnybgood disliked this post
  14. local says:15/03/2019 10:01 AM
    It doesn't seem selfish to go to work and bring prosperity to the area.

Parking where other people can still use the area doesn't seem to selfish to me either.

Too many complain about parking for no obvious reason.

The one cyclist a day having a "Zil Lane" to themselves seems the selfish act to me.

15. Dislikes The PNP disliked this post
  16. Alikado says:15/03/2019 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lambsey View Post
    the cars are parked on the slip road which was built well over 40 years ago so there was safe parking off the dangerous, busy A570 into Southport. They look to be safely parked leaving lots of free space so if any idiot cyclists cannot see them and have an accident then it is their own stupid fault for not looking where they are going. Any car owners booked should appeal as the slip road was built well before any "cycle paths " were even dreamed of so there was safe parking
    It is not a slip road and never has been it has always been a cycle path.

17. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Dislikes Little Londoner disliked this post
  18. Knownothing says:15/03/2019 03:42 PM
    There seems to be conflicting 'opinions' on the designation of the strip of tarmac adjacent to the A570. There needs to be clarification on what this is from a legal perspective, with official evidence to back this up. The word 'obstruction' is a very broad term, again what is the legal definition of this in relation to a vehicle parked on this land?
    In my previous post I highlighted the fact, numerous vehicles are parked AND BLOCK both sides of the pathways of the A570 outside of normal working hours. Check Google street view for reference of various vehicles both cars and larger LCVs, including residents own vehicles, parking through the day. Those opposite the businesses named in the original post seem to park with most consideration in my opinion. Although there appear to be very few if any vehicles cause an actual obstruction of the cycle way.
    Logic must prevail when dealing with this issue and if any notices are issued and subsequently contested by the recipients, then the law should only base a decision on fact and these facts need to be presented to deter those vehicle owners IF they are breaking the law.
    Again, I would consider it completely wrong to ticket certain vehicles and allow others to park without notice being served, whoever they are and at what ever time they park.
    I do not endorse the blocking or obstruction of cycle and foot paths in any way and I would certainly have no objection if I was issued with a PCN for doing so and would pay my monies as needed.
    Does this area comes under the control of West Lancs council who are not based in the immediate vicinity. If I am correct then I would consider it not the best utilisation of resources for our already over stretched services.
    I am sure we would like our law enforcers to be out acting as a deterrent for the more serious of crimes that are all too common place nowadays in our towns and cities. If anybody would prefer to see the police ticket one of these parked cars as opposed to catching a shoplifter or burglar, I seriously think you need to realign your priorities.
    From an outsiders and independent viewpoint, it would seem that there are person[s] complaining about the parking for an end result of personal gain.
    What can actually be gained from stopping these cars parking, a better view of the wild and over grown road side hedging and undergrowth? As I cannot understand there being an obstruction from the images of the original poster.
    Please feel free to view street view and see the cyclists utilising the path way and not having to revert to using the carriageway.

19. Likes jonnybgood liked this post
  20. Tristarpete says:15/03/2019 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerblaxall View Post
    Selfish parkers on a cycle path adjacent to busy Southport Road got their just desserts today after the authorities swooped to hand out numerous fixed penalty notices.

Vehicles are parked 2 wheels on a cycle path and 2 wheels on a public foot path,

21. iggsy says:15/03/2019 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    There seems to be conflicting 'opinions' on the designation of the strip of tarmac adjacent to the A570. There needs to be clarification on what this is from a legal perspective, with official evidence to back this up. The word 'obstruction' is a very broad term, again what is the legal definition of this in relation to a vehicle parked on this land?
    In my previous post I highlighted the fact, numerous vehicles are parked AND BLOCK both sides of the pathways of the A570 outside of normal working hours. Check Google street view for reference of various vehicles both cars and larger LCVs, including residents own vehicles, parking through the day. Those opposite the businesses named in the original post seem to park with most consideration in my opinion. Although there appear to be very few if any vehicles cause an actual obstruction of the cycle way.
    Logic must prevail when dealing with this issue and if any notices are issued and subsequently contested by the recipients, then the law should only base a decision on fact and these facts need to be presented to deter those vehicle owners IF they are breaking the law.
    Again, I would consider it completely wrong to ticket certain vehicles and allow others to park without notice being served, whoever they are and at what ever time they park.
    I do not endorse the blocking or obstruction of cycle and foot paths in any way and I would certainly have no objection if I was issued with a PCN for doing so and would pay my monies as needed.
    Does this area comes under the control of West Lancs council who are not based in the immediate vicinity. If I am correct then I would consider it not the best utilisation of resources for our already over stretched services.
    I am sure we would like our law enforcers to be out acting as a deterrent for the more serious of crimes that are all too common place nowadays in our towns and cities. If anybody would prefer to see the police ticket one of these parked cars as opposed to catching a shoplifter or burglar, I seriously think you need to realign your priorities.
    From an outsiders and independent viewpoint, it would seem that there are person[s] complaining about the parking for an end result of personal gain.
    What can actually be gained from stopping these cars parking, a better view of the wild and over grown road side hedging and undergrowth? As I cannot understand there being an obstruction from the images of the original poster.
    Please feel free to view street view and see the cyclists utilising the path way and not having to revert to using the carriageway.
    Yet again you miss the point entirely, offering your opinion as to what is right and wrong, irrespective of the actual law.
    So would I be right in thinking that you would argue with a police officer for jumping a red light because it was slowing you down or a traffic warden for issuing you a ticket for being over your allotted time, that's if you bought a ticket at all.
    You say you've had experience of people parking outside your house for up to 38 days? Why should this bother you when clearly you are aggravated by parking elsewhere, that is in contravention of the road traffic act and clearly signed as a designated cycle way.
    Would you park on yellow lines outside a school when children are leaving, simply because you didn't agree with their placement.
    Again, the law is being upheld whether you think it trivial or not and regardless of the length of your post, your opinion is immaterial.

22. local says:15/03/2019 08:31 PM
    You don't appear to have read the post.

23. Rightbehindyou says:01/04/2019 10:59 AM
    Its double yellow isnt it.

Double yellows run from the center of the carriageway to the building line. The building line in this case would be the hedge. They are all parked on Double Yellows.

Footpath, Cycle lane doesn't matter

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations