southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk
Please also follow us on our live Twitter Feed
  1. Published on: 04/10/2018 04:02 PMReported by: roving-eye
    Sefton Cycle Chat returns to discuss cycling issues across borough.



    Anyone with an interest in cycling is encouraged to attend the next Sefton Cycle Chat at the MeCycle Caf on Station Road, Ainsdale.

    The evening session, on Tuesday November 6, runs from 6pm until 8pm and is an ideal opportunity to talk about cycling issues and news around Sefton.

    The latest of many regular meetings, a number of riders, enthusiasts and local groups are set to come together and debate the top topics that affect cyclists in the borough.

    All local cyclists will be warmly welcomed at the July session and will be encouraged to engage with their ideas and thoughts on topical matters.

    If you would like further information please email activetravel@sefton.gov.uk or call 0151 934 4541/4808.

    Submit News to Us

    Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk




  2. Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk



    Your Comments:


  3. gazaprop says:04/10/2018 04:37 PM
    Here's a 'cycling issue' to chew over - get the buggers to use the cycle tracks alongside the Coastal Road and Formby By-pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. donkey22 says:04/10/2018 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaprop View Post
    Here's a 'cycling issue' to chew over - get the buggers to use the cycle tracks alongside the Coastal Road and Formby By-pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dckhead

  5. local says:04/10/2018 08:04 PM
    Why do you call someone a ******** for asking cyclists to use the facility that was built for them ?
    Its safer and encouraging cyclists to be safe might lower the injury rate which puts many people off cycling.

    I would also add compulsory lights and helmets to help cycling grow.

  6. gazaprop says:04/10/2018 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey22 View Post
    Dckhead
    Perhaps you'd like to pm me that we might further discuss more thoroughly the crossing of lines.

  7. MargeSimpson says:04/10/2018 10:18 PM
    Quote "All local cyclists will be warmly welcomed at the July session ........"

    We've not even had Christmas yet!

  8. lawed143 says:05/10/2018 01:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaprop View Post
    Here's a 'cycling issue' to chew over - get the buggers to use the cycle tracks alongside the Coastal Road and Formby By-pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Firstly, cycle lanes are not compulsory, they are optional. Secondly, most are not fit for purpose, and are actually more dangerous to use. Thirdly, how often do you actually see cyclists on the main carriageway of the bypass or the coast road? Hardly ever.

    Having said that, if you cant see and safely pass a cyclist on any road that they are permitted to use (by right I may add), I suggest you hand in your DL. To call us buggers is indicative of your attitude towards fellow human beings. We are not. We are merely using our time to persue a hobby we enjoy, were not out to annoy you, or get in your way, or slow you down. Maybe if youre late, you should leave a little earlier. Sorry that we delayed you by a few seconds on your time precious journey. Remember, we all have families and friends that expect us home just like you have too. Chill, be patient, be polite, and try to understand.

  9. gazaprop says:05/10/2018 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawed143 View Post
    Firstly, cycle lanes are not compulsory, they are optional. Secondly, most are not fit for purpose, and are actually more dangerous to use. Thirdly, how often do you actually see cyclists on the main carriageway of the bypass or the coast road? Hardly ever.

    Having said that, if you cant see and safely pass a cyclist on any road that they are permitted to use (by right I may add), I suggest you hand in your DL. To call us buggers is indicative of your attitude towards fellow human beings. We are not. We are merely using our time to persue a hobby we enjoy, were not out to annoy you, or get in your way, or slow you down. Maybe if youre late, you should leave a little earlier. Sorry that we delayed you by a few seconds on your time precious journey. Remember, we all have families and friends that expect us home just like you have too. Chill, be patient, be polite, and try to understand.
    I agree - cycle lanes are not compulsory but, in my view they should be.
    You cite their fitness for purpose as a rationale for not using them. In my experience some of the adjacent road surfaces are as bad so - if the unthinkable happens - is it better to be a distance away from the traffic or, right alongside it?
    You say you are permitted to use the roads by right - this of course is true but - what statutory checks are made on your vehicles to ensure they are roadworthy, how much do you pay in duty for this right? None is the answer to both questions.
    Perhaps you and your fellow cyclists should lobby for a tax, similar to road tax, which would be levied against cyclists, with the proceeds ring fenced as funding for the upkeep of cycle tracks.

    Your point about not being able to see cyclists is just silly.

    Whilst you may not be out to annoy other road users I can assure you plenty of others are. Some consider themselves quasi professionals as soon as the lycra is donned and duty bound to form a peloton. Is this acceptable behaviour, along with obcene hand gestures and verbal abuse to anyone who suggests single file would be more appropriate?
    Yes I and others might have somewhere to be and there may be time constraints placed upon us. When faced with the rear of a mamil throng for the entire length of the Coastal Road, or sections of the By-Pass, it certainly amounts to far more than a 'few seconds' as you so blithely put it. Leaving a bit earlier may not be a consideration if the inconsiderate bunch of cyclists is encountered mid task. Perhaps it is you who should think more about the effect your actions have.

  10. *concerned* says:05/10/2018 09:09 AM
    So, you are saying its safer to cycle on a 50mph road, (Coastal Rd) with no pavement on one side, and an unused dedicated cycle track on the other side of the road , where cars/lorries etc have to slow down from say 50mph to less than 20mph to then pass you, when there are no vehicles coming from the opposite direction.

    If driving the Coastal Rd at 50mph and you encounter a cyclist on the road, with no oncoming traffic, vehicles of all shapes and sizes can whizz past you at 50mph!

    For me, on roads such as the Coastal Rd and the Formby By-Pass which both have dedicated cycle tracks, IF a cyclist choses to use the road instead of the track, they should be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice and fine!

  11. Lamparilla says:05/10/2018 09:50 AM
    No mention yet of cycling on pavements and pedestrianised streets.


    I had to take evasive action this morning on Weld Road - someone cycling at a rate of knots down the centre of the pavement on Weld Road, and he wasn't going to budge!

  12. local says:05/10/2018 01:03 PM
    Far too many cyclists are killed and injured on our roads using trite comments such "as allow more time" and voicing your "right to be on the road" is unhelpful and puts parents off from encouraging their children to cycle.

    The right to put yourself in danger and potentially be knocked off your cycle seems something of a pyrrhic one.

    People not using the provided cycle lanes allows councils the excuse to avoid maintenance.

    A major study of bike helmet use around the world from more than 64,000 cyclists has found helmets reduce the risks of a serious head injury by nearly 70%.

    Reducing injuries and deaths by safe riding is the best way of encouraging cycling use.

    Racing as for car and motorbike users is best carried out on tracks not public highways.

  13. Sap33 says:05/10/2018 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaprop View Post
    You say you are permitted to use the roads by right - this of course is true but - what statutory checks are made on your vehicles to ensure they are roadworthy, how much do you pay in duty for this right? None is the answer to both questions.
    While I agree with some of your points, the above is somewhat off the mark.

    Firstly, while yes, there are no statutory checks on a pushbikes, there are plenty of vehicles out there that do not need a check either, such as classic cars.

    Secondly, your point about paying duty to use the road isnt really an argument! NO vehicles pay to use the roads, they pay excise duty and its to do with emissions. Which is why loads of current new vehicles pay zero excise duty!

    If you want to refer to excise duty as Road Tax, when Im on my pushbike, Im using what Ive already paid for several times over as Im paying for a car and a motorcycle!
    Last edited by Sap33; 05/10/2018 at 03:43 PM.

  14. gazaprop says:05/10/2018 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sap33 View Post
    While I agree with some of your points, the above is somewhat off the mark.

    Firstly, while yes, there are no statutory checks on a pushbikes, there are plenty of vehicles out there that do not need a check either, such as classic cars.

    Secondly, your point about paying duty to use the road is t really an argument! NO ehicles pay to use the roads, they pay excise duty and its to do with emissions. Which is why loads of current new vehicles pay zero excise duty!

    If you want to refer to excise duty as Road Tax, when Im on my pushbike, Im using what Ive already paid for several times over as Im paying for a car and a motorcycle!
    You are right about the emissions rule but previously the Road Fund Licence was exactly that and, as I understand it, excise duty/road tax - whatever - is spent on roads.
    The emissions exemption is a fairly recent thing, used as 'bait' to increase the uptake of those types of car.
    In any event, I fail to see how, other than taking semantics to the nth degree, you can arrive at the conclusion 'NO' vehicles pay to use the roads.
    Similarly there is no logic in your argument on paying several times over. If there was anyone could extrapolate from that a reason to not pay for more than two vehicles as they considered they'd paid enough already.
    Having said that motorists get a pretty rum deal as it is. They pay tax on earnings used to buy the vehicle, then pay road tax, then tax on insurance, then tax and duty on fuel, tax on service costs - what a racket.

  15. Sap33 says:05/10/2018 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaprop View Post
    You are right about the emissions rule but previously the Road Fund Licence was exactly that and, as I understand it, excise duty/road tax - whatever - is spent on roads.
    The emissions exemption is a fairly recent thing, used as 'bait' to increase the uptake of those types of car.
    In any event, I fail to see how, other than taking semantics to the nth degree, you can arrive at the conclusion 'NO' vehicles pay to use the roads.
    Similarly there is no logic in your argument on paying several times over. If there was anyone could extrapolate from that a reason to not pay for more than two vehicles as they considered they'd paid enough already.
    Having said that motorists get a pretty rum deal as it is. They pay tax on earnings used to buy the vehicle, then pay road tax, then tax on insurance, then tax and duty on fuel, tax on service costs - what a racket.
    It was 'Road Fund Licence' between 1920 and 1936, when it was ring fenced for the roads, however since 1937, it goes into one government pot to use how the government want, not necessarily roads (I'm sure MP's expenses would be one of their prefered areas of expenditure!), hence me saying no vehicles pay to use the roads!

    My point of paying for multiple vehicles wasn't an argument, more a statement that I'm paying for more than I'm using at any one point.

    In reply to your final point regarding motorists and rum deals, I couldn't agree more! From the point of conception, there's only 2 things guaranteed in life, Death and Taxes!

  16. donkey22 says:05/10/2018 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamparilla View Post
    No mention yet of cycling on pavements and pedestrianised streets.


    I had to take evasive action this morning on Weld Road - someone cycling at a rate of knots down the centre of the pavement on Weld Road, and he wasn't going to budge!
    Maybe you shouldnt be driving on the pavement either?


Custom Search
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register



       
Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

The Best Of Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal



Jobs from Indeed



UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News


Supporting Local Business
44 Bedford Road, Birkdale, PR8 4HJ
With in excess of 40 cars in stock at our showrooms, we have a range of cars we believe are the best in the area.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 562956
Supporting Local Business
Hesfords DIY & Gardening, Moorgate, Lancashire, L39 4RU
Hesfords has been a family concern since it was founded in 1903 by Charles Martin on Market Row. Originally specialising in engineering the company moved to its current location in 1978.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01695 572727

Supporting Local Business
270 Liverpool Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 4PE
Established in 1977. Providing removals and storage services for both domestic household and commercial customers. Specialist piano and antique movers, house clearance services. Local authority contractors. Call for a Free, No Obligation Quotation.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 567020
Supporting Local Business
2 Cambride Arcade, Southport, PR8 1AS
Established in Cambridge Walks for 9 years, John Antony specialises in different quality designer footwear and bags.
WEBSITE     TEL: 549729


Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
How We Use Cookies