southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

Thread: Victoria

said Guest

Victoria

The statue of Queen Victoria at the top end of Neville Street? Should the statue be facing out over the sea? Or should it be facing toward the town?

My view is that it should be facing over the sea, as it is in Yorkshire, but Harwich has the statue with Victoria's back to the sea.
    My reasoning is that Brittania is the name of a goddess representing the whole of the UK - and that in the song Brittania Rules the Waves - then surely a monarch should stand in support of Brittania.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    The statue of Queen Victoria at the top end of Neville Street? Should the statue be facing out over the sea? Or should it be facing toward the town?

My view is that it should be facing over the sea, as it is in Yorkshire, but Harwich has the statue with Victoria's back to the sea.
    My reasoning is that Brittania is the name of a goddess representing the whole of the UK - and that in the song Brittania Rules the Waves - then surely a monarch should stand in support of Brittania.

Queen Victoria was not cast with binoculars and therefore placed facing towards the Britannia BS.

said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Queen Victoria was not cast with binoculars and therefore placed facing towards the Britannia BS.
    That is not the point! Even if Her Majesty did have binoculars, she would have had to have X-ray vision as well. She still should be facing the sea!

Likes / Dislikes
    I don't quite get the point of this discussion.

Does it really matter which way the statue is facing?
    I may be old but I ain't stupid..!!!
    http://www.sdlbl.btck.co.uk
    Clipart

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    That is not the point! Even if Her Majesty did have binoculars, she would have had to have X-ray vision as well. She still should be facing the sea!
    I agree.
    Got to blame bollocks for the situation now.

26 April 2006
    "Queen Victoria is on her way back to Southport but not as everyone wants her. When she returns, within a week or so, Britain’s greatest monarch will be facing in a different direction to the one she left in September 2005. Where once she gazed majestically out to sea (or at least at the Silcocks Amusement Arcade) The Queen of England and Empress of India will now stare icily down Nevill Street. Former Southport tourism boss Phil King said: “The statue looked out at the sea for years and this was most appropriate. “Now she will be looking down a street filled with chip shops and amusement arcades. There is nothing wrong with these — they are part of our tourism industry — but Queen Victoria looks out on to the sea front, that’s the way she looks at her best.” But Sefton Council said that the change was for the better. A spokesman said: “In recent months we have spent £80,000 painstakingly restoring and rejuvenating this wonderful statue. “When Queen Victoria returns, she will face the town centre — and more specifically the war memorial obelisk. “This will create a physical link between these two important historical structures. “She will have a special lighting scheme to raise her profile further and will provide a striking welcome to the public as they travel from the town centre to the sea front.” This isn’t the first time the great lady has switched her position. The Queen’s staue, which was built in 1903, two years after the monarch’s death, was orginally placed in front of what is now Southport Library. Then it was moved up to her current position as the seafront boomed in the early part of the 19th century. Dr Ian Dungavell, director of the national Victorian Society said: “The settings of Queen Victoria statues were carefully considered. “Changing the setting may be regrettable.”

http://www.champnews.com/html/newsst...4#.Wk_weeQiFVI

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoja View Post

Do you have an account with the Britannia Building Society?

said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoja View Post

Yes, it is an interesting point and everyone has their own point of view on the subject. I have given my reasons although I had forgotten the statue was on Lord Street for a while - but even there, she was facing the sea and has done so for more than eighty years until the council (as I believe) made an error but pretended otherwise.

While on the subject - Is it Sievad who is in Canada? In Ontario, there is a Victoria Park with the statue of Victoria there. On the internet, the statue is shown as being totally neglected to the extent it makes Queen Victoria look like a walking dead zombie complete with dribbling green goo! Weird!

Likes / Dislikes
    I assume that one day she'll slowly sink into the half-filled voids under Nevill St, so it'll be anyone's guess which way she'll eventually be facing

Likes / Dislikes
    She was facing the sea with her back to us all and that was well known to be wrong, she is back now facing her land and people.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by MICK/GILLY View Post
    She was facing the sea with her back to us all and that was well known to be wrong, she is back now facing her land and people.
    Quote.

“When Queen Victoria returns, she will face the town centre — and more specifically the war memorial obelisk. “This will create a physical link between these two important historical structures."

Two wars Queen Victoria was long dead before?

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

178 Bispham Road, Southport, PR9 7DF
Although mainly catering for the family cyclist, our business encompasses all aspects of cycling.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 228805
Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913

30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808
165 Lord Street, Opposite the Prince of Wales, Southport, PR8 1PF
In superlative classic surroundings, enjoy your tea and food in a building which you would be forgiven to think was in the heart of London! Actually we are opposite the Prince of Wales in Southport
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 540066

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)