southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

Tracing your Ancestry

Has anyone attempted to trace their ancestry? How far back have you managed to trace? Did you find anything interesting?

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Lamparilla Guest
    My grandmother did it years ago and found we were connected to the Pendle witches

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamparilla View Post
    My grandmother did it years ago and found we were connected to the Pendle witches

Ha!Ha! Did you not continue, or did you give up then? Do you hide on bonfire night?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamparilla View Post
    I have now managed to trace mine back to the 12th century - but it was not easy as the families were very large. It meant scanning hundreds of Birth, Death and Marriage certificates. I have also discovered a cousin I did not know I had, who was living in a neighbouring county.

Likes / Dislikes
    I am a Marshside Rimmer and it is almost impossible to trace back beyond 1760 because there are so many Rimmer folk about; I know there are several differing Rimmer families (DNA confirms this) but with them using the same forenames it's not easy - nay, it is impossible! I am a genealogist with 25+ years experience and run a family history help desk in the Atkinson Library every Friday morning 10-12noon - pop in and say 'Hello' some time?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaCopRimmer View Post
    I am a Marshside Rimmer and it is almost impossible to trace back beyond 1760 because there are so many Rimmer folk about; I know there are several differing Rimmer families (DNA confirms this) but with them using the same forenames it's not easy - nay, it is impossible! I am a genealogist with 25+ years experience and run a family history help desk in the Atkinson Library every Friday morning 10-12noon - pop in and say 'Hello' some time?
    Did you seek out Birth, Death and Marriage certificates? Luckily - I did not have your problem. Anyone having my Surname is related somewhere along the ancestry line. Several family members had also been tracing the ancestry, which helped enormously. I did have problems with the Christian names because these were repeated all the time.

Likes / Dislikes
    Got my granddads birth certificate,he was born in the kitchens of Buckingham Palace.
    Devil in disguise,

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Ha!Ha! Did you not continue, or did you give up then? Do you hide on bonfire night?
    Snap, my many times great relative was Old Demdike.

Lamparilla Guest
    It became very confusing because there were a lot of people with the same surname, but who weren't related to each other, a bit like the Rimmers in Southport area.

In more recent times, she did find that a cousin went down with the Titanic.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post
    Snap, my many times great relative was Old Demdike.
    That is very interesting! Have you read "The Lancashire Witch Conspiracy"? Type this into the address bar -

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
    Got my granddads birth certificate,he was born in the kitchens of Buckingham Palace.
    There is many an explanation for that - just can't think of any for now!

Likes / Dislikes
    What you really need to know is where he was concieved, you might be Royalty!

Likes / Dislikes
    There is many an explanation for that - just can't think of any for now!
    Well they are dead now.So can't ask.
    Devil in disguise,

Likes / Dislikes
    Well they are dead now.So can't ask.
    OK! What was his Mum doing in Buck's kitchen? Apart from giving birth that is.

Likes / Dislikes
    Did you seek out Birth, Death and Marriage certificates? Luckily - I did not have your problem. Anyone having my Surname is related somewhere along the ancestry line. Several family members had also been tracing the ancestry, which helped enormously. I did have problems with the Christian names because these were repeated all the time.
    SeaCopRimmer is saying that: "it is almost impossible to trace back beyond 1760 because there are so many Rimmer folk about"
    Civil registration wasn't introduced until 1837, so prior to 1760 there were no birth/death/marriage certificates.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

486 Liverpool Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 3BD
We manufacture all types of Memorials and Cremation Tablets in marble, granite and stone. Existing monuments renovated & restored. Additional Inscriptions available on request
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578854
178 Bispham Road, Southport, PR9 7DF
Although mainly catering for the family cyclist, our business encompasses all aspects of cycling.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 228805

4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788
33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)