southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jamyramy View Post
    well have to agree things have gone awry,and its not just the schooling issues ,society as a whole needs wake up call too.that said the brutality and abuse of those times of the sixties and seventys regime,did leave a lasting impression on myself and many others! I am ,and in view of the Saville events ,surprised that historic claims against the education system and its profession hasn't led to investigation proceedures taking place,some of the events and abuses by its teachers in that period makes your eyes water at ormonde drive then!my educational experience has left me with little or no respect for those involved in the educationary system, to this day .and im in my sixtys.
    I'm somewhat older than that, during my school years we heard some pretty rugged tales from others who were pupils at other schools, these were almost always Catholic Schools, where the teachers were remarkably adept at dishing out physical punishment, your school at the time would have been one of the new Secondary Modern Schools, later Comprehensive, sad you encountered teachers with such low control that the only tactic was fear.

Apparently today the school has a pretty good reputation.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    I'm somewhat older than that, during my school years we heard some pretty rugged tales from others who were pupils at other schools, these were almost always Catholic Schools, where the teachers were remarkably adept at dishing out physical punishment, your school at the time would have been one of the new Secondary Modern Schools, later Comprehensive, sad you encountered teachers with such low control that the only tactic was fear.

Apparently today the school has a pretty good reputation.
    well in my reflective years I hope so for those passing through,but so sad for thosethat endured those years,and its legacy burdened.

Likes / Dislikes
    We used to have to do PE in our underwear in Primary school if we forgot our kit - but I didn't think they still did that now. The Headmistress used the cane and every teacher had a ruler to hit us with, along with the blackboard duster regularly getting launched around the class. One teacher smacked a girl's face against the blackboard and split her lip open. At age 4, I was physically sick with fear going to school, after the boy I sat next to accidently broke his pencil and was taken to the toilet where he was wacked on his bare backside with a ruler - at 4!! How any adult can hit a kid with a cane or a ruler I don't know. Physical punishment was the norm back then, unfortunately.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by VB123 View Post
    We used to have to do PE in our underwear in Primary school if we forgot our kit - but I didn't think they still did that now. The Headmistress used the cane and every teacher had a ruler to hit us with, along with the blackboard duster regularly getting launched around the class. One teacher smacked a girl's face against the blackboard and split her lip open. At age 4, I was physically sick with fear going to school, after the boy I sat next to accidently broke his pencil and was taken to the toilet where he was wacked on his bare backside with a ruler - at 4!! How any adult can hit a kid with a cane or a ruler I don't know. Physical punishment was the norm back then, unfortunately.
    Certainly physical punishment was an available option, I must have lead a sheltered life or been very lucky as I never encountered what amounts to violence
    during primary or secondary school, don't know if it was a factor, but I grew up in
    a rural area went to the local village school, then on to grammar school, plus I
    can't pretend that I was some sort of angelic, goody goody, who never got into
    trouble,but for me misdemeanours were dealt with fairly (didn't always think so at
    the time!!!) but looking back to my school years have no regrets or complaints.

Sure got the odd raps on the knuckles or clip to the back of my head, but this would always be when doing something I shouldn't have been, or not doing what I should have, but never lined up for a battering or real pain.

I would say the balance was just about right, knowing that pushing too far could have painful results, but never in fear of teachers as such.
    Last edited by silver fox; 16/10/2017 at 09:54 AM.

Likes / Dislikes
    I went to a state primary school and we had the full monty, picking boys up by their ears, blackboard rubbers thrown and what we called in Bristol a "dapping". I received a number of slaps as well. By and large, all done by one male teacher. In retrospect he was so nasty I suspect there was something going on his trousers when meting out the punishments.

However the most shocking one was my Sunday school teacher who slapped me across the face for s******ing during the Lord's Prayer at the age of nine. There was something of a hoo ha about that and the said lady was not seen at sunday school a great deal afterwards.

A secondary school, a direct grant grammar, punishments were meted out by the caretaker (laughably called the School Sargent). We were old enough to realise that he getting too much pleasure from his power and virtually all boys sent for caning refused to submit to it and too temporary exclusion as an alternative.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion102 View Post
    I went to a state primary school and we had the full monty, picking boys up by their ears, blackboard rubbers thrown and what we called in Bristol a "dapping". I received a number of slaps as well. By and large, all done by one male teacher. In retrospect he was so nasty I suspect there was something going on his trousers when meting out the punishments.

However the most shocking one was my Sunday school teacher who slapped me across the face for s******ing during the Lord's Prayer at the age of nine. There was something of a hoo ha about that and the said lady was not seen at sunday school a great deal afterwards.

A secondary school, a direct grant grammar, punishments were meted out by the caretaker (laughably called the School Sargent). We were old enough to realise that he getting too much pleasure from his power and virtually all boys sent for caning refused to submit to it and too temporary exclusion as an alternative.
    Well considering you ended up at Cambridge University, economics student, it didn't do you any harm...

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by shippy View Post
    Well considering you ended up at Cambridge University, economics student, it didn't do you any harm...
    FAKE NEWS !

Oxford and Chemistry...

Likes / Dislikes
    FAKE NEWS !

Oxford and Chemistry...
    Now you disappointment me.....

Only kidding, I have a deep respect for folks who have achieved the tops.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    Certainly physical punishment was an available option, I must have lead a sheltered life or been very lucky as I never encountered what amounts to violence
    during primary or secondary school, don't know if it was a factor, but I grew up in
    a rural area went to the local village school, then on to grammar school, plus I
    can't pretend that I was some sort of angelic, goody goody, who never got into
    trouble,but for me misdemeanours were dealt with fairly (didn't always think so at
    the time!!!) but looking back to my school years have no regrets or complaints.

Sure got the odd raps on the knuckles or clip to the back of my head, but this would always be when doing something I shouldn't have been, or not doing what I should have, but never lined up for a battering or real pain.

I would say the balance was just about right, knowing that pushing too far could have painful results, but never in fear of teachers as such.
    It was a Catholic school in Liverpool. You were given the cane just for being late. It was run on fear. The boy who broke his pencil had just been fidgeting with it, it wasn't done intentionally and he was a very well-behaved child, as I was myself. The teacher who smacked the young girl's head on the blackboard, splitting her lip open, got her comeuppance though, when a badly behaved boy, who was often getting hit by her, ended up punching her in the face, breaking her glasses. He was a hero in all our eyes after that. How can you expect to keep hitting kids and get any respect shown back? I shudder to think of those children who may have had dyslexia or some other learning issue who got hit for being unable to do some of the work correctly. It was a shocking way to treat kids.

Likes / Dislikes

That made me laugh - you are probably right about them enjoying hitting the kids in other ways.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by VB123 View Post
    It was a Catholic school in Liverpool. You were given the cane just for being late. It was run on fear.
    You have just answered one question, sadly that sort of rule by fear was a feature of Catholic schools, my Brother-in-law remained a Catholic but wouldn't send his own children to a Catholic school, entirely due to his own school experience.

Likes / Dislikes
    not only was there an abuse system in place ,mattered not wether catholick or other.but the newly introduced secondry system ,led to a discriminatly driven agenda.the secondrys attracting the nomarks of the teaching profession and opportunists.the teachers would favour pupils over others,and actively discriminate .if you where secondry you where just lesser in the eyes of the establishment.after all in those post years after the wars something had to be done with the population surge after peace established.the nimber of live that where stunted and opportunities lost for many is criminal,and that's just on the educational level.they goverments and education system of that time let many down.as ive said its about time the police started looking into this historic abuse,of the post war years youth!fortunatly I found my own way in life and a profession that's a gift an way of life.but for many they just muddled through on grit!

Likes / Dislikes
    ???
    I may be old but I ain't stupid..!!!
    http://www.sdlbl.btck.co.uk
    Clipart

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jamyramy View Post
    not only was there an abuse system in place ,mattered not wether catholick or other.but the newly introduced secondry system ,led to a discriminatly driven agenda.the secondrys attracting the nomarks of the teaching profession and opportunists.the teachers would favour pupils over others,and actively discriminate .if you where secondry you where just lesser in the eyes of the establishment.after all in those post years after the wars something had to be done with the population surge after peace established.the nimber of live that where stunted and opportunities lost for many is criminal,and that's just on the educational level.they goverments and education system of that time let many down.as ive said its about time the police started looking into this historic abuse,of the post war years youth!fortunatly I found my own way in life and a profession that's a gift an way of life.but for many they just muddled through on grit!
    I take it the English teacher was not one of your favourites?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    I take it the English teacher was not one of your favourites?
    More than a little unkind, from memory jamyramy has previously said he has problems with written English, dyslexia possibly???.

While not excusing this could also explain his poor school experience, when dyslexia was not recognised as such and more likely came under the headings of "lazy or stupid" which jamyramy clearly is not.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333
127 Wennington Road, SOUTHPORT, PR9 7AH
Our team of Veterinary Surgeons, trainee and qualified Veterinary Nurses and Receptionists aim to provide the highest possible standard of a personal, caring and friendly service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 214460

Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Bradshawa Lane, Southport, PR8 3LG
Following a full time career, Jim has now settled in to a challenging and exciting role as club professional at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club.
WEBSITE     TEL: 577316
Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)