southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    Graham Guest

Parking like a Muppet in Southport

I suspect its not just me and that also this is on the increase [and even that the increase is increasing!!!] but more and more people seem to park on the pavement these days, even when its a fairly wide road and there is no double parked car?

I am no sure where your insurance stands on this [anyone care to enlighten us?] however from what I understand it's not actually against the law [only an advisory]

What it is though is completely inconsiderate and disrespectful to wheelchair users, mobility chair users, mothers with prams and pedestrians in general.

Roads are for cars, pavements for pedestrians!

Whatever law that used to be in place should be brought back in pronto imho!!!

Comments invited

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    I'm sure I could get through there with my sons wheelchair. I'll give it a good try anyway ;-)

Graham Guest
    but you might scratch the car...

Likes / Dislikes
    I,'m afraid some people have adopted the habit of parking two wheels on the curb irrespective of where they are or the amount of road width available for conventional parking. They have lost the ability to park close and adjacent to a pavement. As a pedestrian i'm fed up dealing with cracked paving slabs and squeezing between walls and badly parked cars/vans. Time for local authority or police to start acting.

Likes / Dislikes

bad parking

Quote Originally Posted by ainsdale local View Post
    I,'m afraid some people have adopted the habit of parking two wheels on the curb irrespective of where they are or the amount of road width available for conventional parking. They have lost the ability to park close and adjacent to a pavement. As a pedestrian i'm fed up dealing with cracked paving slabs and squeezing between walls and badly parked cars/vans. Time for local authority or police to start acting.
    a broken wing mirror or nice deep scratch may stop that thoughtless driver from parking like that again

Likes / Dislikes
    Lots of cars are parked with 4 wheels on the pavement. No one objects.

If this is ok to do. Can I park with 4 wheels on Lord St pavement?

Anyone know?

Likes / Dislikes

Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by susanb View Post
    Lots of cars are parked with 4 wheels on the pavement. No one objects.

If this is ok to do. Can I park with 4 wheels on Lord St pavement?

Anyone know?
    As far as I am aware it is illegal,if not it should be, trouble is that there is no one to police it.
    Last edited by DixieRoy; 22/06/2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Dixieroy
    Please be aware that due to visual impairment I will occasionally post typos in error.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    No might about it

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    If I am pushing my grandchilds pram I would more than scratch it.
    It would be wounded.
    Devil in disguise,

Likes / Dislikes
    Inconsiderate and antisocial particularly bad down sunny road thanks to chavvy blinders

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    No might about it
    I can understand parking on the pavement when the owner of the vehicle is a resident who lives in a narrow road - but the other drivers who do so are just pig ignorant! Young children, disabled people, blind people, elderly with walking aids - all have their lives placed in danger by having to use the road because the pavement is blocked.
    Even worse are the drivers who drive across a pathway to park on the forecourt of a shop. People are forced to walk on the path behind the vehicle where a child would be in the blind spot of a driver reversing, or a disabled person would not be able to get out of the way quickly when a driver fails to check the rear view. Forecourt parking should be made illegal as well unless there is room for more than twelve cars.

Likes / Dislikes
    As usual it's down to consideration and thought (or lack of), had one numpty parked on the footpath so close to our pedestrian gate that you couldn't get out, idiot didn't understand why I was annoyed, said he hadn't noticed the gate because it was separate to our drive.

Got quite huffy when I questioned his ability to be on the road if he was so unaware.

Likes / Dislikes

on the pavement

I heard something on the news the other week that they're thinking of introducing a blanket ban on cars parked anywhere on the pavement and that if you have too many cars that won't fit in your drive that you may be forced to sell one.
    On a different note, a couple of years ago I was going for the bus one morning and found a Vauxhall Corsa parked wholly on the pavement near the junction of Essex Rd and Shaftesbury Ave, it was there for a couple of days so a friend told me at the time. No idea where it had appeared from either.

Likes / Dislikes
    The news report was possibly relating to a ban on footpath (pavement) parking in Scotland which is included in a transport bill currently before the Scottish Parliament.
    There was a private menbers bill introduced at Westminster a couple of years ago that was dropped as the English govt. agreed to consider the problem. There is a complete ban in London which should be extended to England and Wales.

Likes / Dislikes
    It is a difficult one.
    In a former Mill Town with up and down narrow windy roads cars routinely park half on the pavement to allow freer access to other road users and a bus service no one wants to lose.

On the other hand the pavement damage comes out of council funds.

There is no excuse for Southport pavement stealers.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)