southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1
    said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KissThis View Post
    I worked at the Smedley Hydro too, about 1978 I think it was, in A.I.2
    Horrendous, monotonous job
    I was there later - the actual work was awful enough, but the rest of it was even worse! Not allowed to talk, not allowed to joke, not allowed to wander around too much, not allowed to open windows - any instructions were passed down a chain of heirarchy literally, any information to be passed on had to go through the same chain. The filing system was a real mess with the records or people of Indian origin being filed under simply Mr. or Mrs. The whole place was chaotic, I am surprised anyone's identity was found.
    Talk about human robots!

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bambi275 View Post
    Are you sure you didn't get the idea for 'factory days out' from Thomsons themselves? Blackpool pleasure beach owned part of Southport for years under the company name of Helters and each year Norman, Bill & Co would meet us all in Barons bar for butties and drinks before getting onto coaches for Blackpool. Once There, we had sheets of ride tickets then went for a meal and to see a show all courtesy of the Thompson's who would be there with the staff of Blackpool.
    I have got to say Geoffrey (Mr T) was a great boss and yes I have been on a few what they used to call the busman's holidays at the end of the season at Southport when the temp staff had gone and only the skeleton staff remained. And that played a massive part in my factory day out, it gave me the idea, yes the BPB open top bus picked us up on site, you are right its a bit of a mix from that and Boggs factory day out. Same thing but with factory staff, you are bang on there.

Also Christmas was something to look forward to for us, the open top bus came and took core staff to BPB and we all got a pint in the Horseshoe bar then Geoffrey Thompson himself greeted us with a handshake, thanked us for working for him and handed us an envelope, usually a quite large bonus.
    He was a good boss and made a big effort with his staff. RIP Mr T

Likes / Dislikes

Talking Jobs best and worst

Can,t say I had any bad jobs, as I started as an apprentice mechanic at Ross Auto in Banastre Rd. in 1965 then went to Barmal (Fiat Dealers) in 1966, then finished my apprenticeship at Canning Rd bus depot (long before Sefton took over the town council).

Went to the Ribble at Aintree depot in 1970 as the Ribble had a whopping £2.00 per week pay rise which took me over the £16.00 a week at Canning Rd. to £18.00 per week (Phew)!

The decided to to go repairing wagons at a Kirkby haulage co. and then the start of the three day week (thanks to Harold Wilson and the Labour Govnmt.) the company was sold on to another company in Bamber Bridge and didn't get von with the boss so went driving HGV's for a living starting at Edward Core in Halsall then on to Appleton's in Formby for more money as money was tight with a new baby and a mortgage, stayed driving HGV's up till my retirement two years ago, finished my retirement as 'a Box Jockey' (i.e. pulling containers for a company in Widnes for the last nine years) thoroughly enjoyed it but would definitely not go back driving for a living with ball the regulations and mind numbing driving standards
    There but for the grace of God Go I!

He who hasn,t made mistakes hasn,t made anything!

Always take care, as Confucious says it is better to be 10 minutes late in this world, than 10 years early for the next one!

Likes / Dislikes
    I am lucky that I stayed the course and qualified in my early career choices despite change of mind as it definitely gave me the experience in exchange for specific qualifications in later careers.

I do not think it is as easy for young people to do that nowadays
    which is a shame.

said Guest
    "I do not think it is as easy for young people to do that nowadays
    which is a shame."[/QUOTE]

This topic has highlighted an interesting fact. So was it more satisfying to be able to work you own way forwards in life, than to attend a university that many are encouraged to do now, and find that there is no work available in one's given field and are left floundering to get on any career ladder?
    Obviously - it was far more positive having to make your own way knowing where you stood.

Likes / Dislikes
    My dad had a sewing machine shop in Oldham.
    Worked there every weekend and school hols,for £5 a week.
    I love working in retail you meet some lovely people.
    I have a BA Hons in Fine Art.(but that is something I can do for myself).
    Devil in disguise,

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    "I do not think it is as easy for young people to do that nowadays
    which is a shame."
    This topic has highlighted an interesting fact. So was it more satisfying to be able to work you own way forwards in life, than to attend a university that many are encouraged to do now, and find that there is no work available in one's given field and are left floundering to get on any career ladder?
    Obviously - it was far more positive having to make your own way knowing where you stood.[/QUOTE]

I did not mean to give that impression. In my day one got the qualifications then chose the options available rather like Green Shield Stamps.
    The certs in speciality fields came after that.

I went about choosing a career in the wrong way. I knew I wanted to work with children but not as a teacher.
    I chose Social work followed by Nursing.
    It was only after (making my own) children that I worked out which field.
    Partly due to reading so much more whilst not working and partly as there is nothing like having children of ones own to concentrate the mind.

I moved to a career where the interaction was more suitable to me rewarding, less practical based (than nursing) and went by the book(unlike social work).

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
    My dad had a sewing machine shop in Oldham.
    Worked there every weekend and school hols,for £5 a week.
    I love working in retail you meet some lovely people.
    I have a BA Hons in Fine Art.(but that is something I can do for myself).
    Gosh I bet there are not many gems like your fathers shop left.

said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Obviously - it was far more positive having to make your own way knowing where you stood.
    I did not mean to give that impression. In my day one got the qualifications then chose the options available rather like Green Shield Stamps.

I went about choosing a career in the wrong way. I knew I wanted to work with children but not as a teacher.
    Partly due to reading so much more whilst not working and partly as there is nothing like having children of ones own to concentrate the mind.

I moved to a career where the interaction was more suitable to me rewarding, less practical based (than nursing) and went by the book(unlike social work).[/QUOTE]

Aha! A Career Parent?

Likes / Dislikes

I moved to a career where the interaction was more suitable to me rewarding, less practical based (than nursing) and went by the book(unlike social work).
    Aha! A Career Parent?[/QUOTE]

No....when the youngest started school I went back to work in
    a job not in Social work or nursing that I did for many years before moving on again in a completely different job of which I still do.

said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Aha! A Career Parent?
    a job not in Social work or nursing that I did for many years before moving on again in a completely different job of which I still do.[/QUOTE]

Are you going to keep me guessing?

Likes / Dislikes
    I was there later - the actual work was awful enough, but the rest of it was even worse! Not allowed to talk, not allowed to joke, not allowed to wander around too much, not allowed to open windows - any instructions were passed down a chain of heirarchy literally, any information to be passed on had to go through the same chain. The filing system was a real mess with the records or people of Indian origin being filed under simply Mr. or Mrs. The whole place was chaotic, I am surprised anyone's identity was found.
    Talk about human robots!
    Add me to the list of ex-Smedley employees. I was there from 72/73, couldn't get out fast enough. Probably the most soul destroying job of my life.

Likes / Dislikes
    a job not in Social work or nursing that I did for many years before moving on again in a completely different job of which I still do.
    Are you going to keep me guessing?[/QUOTE]

No-please I am not worth it!

Truly the point is that instead of wasting qualifications the fact I stuck them out proved to be an advantage later for showing I was reliable and adaptable.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    Add me to the list of ex-Smedley employees. I was there from 72/73, couldn't get out fast enough. Probably the most soul destroying job of my life.
    Hamble was thinking along the lines this 'Smedley' was a right of passage in Southport like working at Pleasureland.

I googled it.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...ars-of-history

Gosh! Impressive building and history.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    I too worked at Smedley for a short time... I escaped because I became pregnant and so left after about 12 months!
    I may be old but I ain't stupid..!!!
    http://www.sdlbl.btck.co.uk
    Clipart

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

25-27 Forest Road, Southport, PR8 6JD
Come to visit Wallpaper John@ Forest Road Wallcoverings today for Southport's finest range of wallcoverings with over 1000 designs always in store.
WEBSITE
4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788

33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333
Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Bradshawa Lane, Southport, PR8 3LG
Following a full time career, Jim has now settled in to a challenging and exciting role as club professional at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club.
WEBSITE     TEL: 577316

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)