southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

J Holey Lord Street

Looking for help from anyone with a long memory over on the Southport Past forum.

All ideas gratefully received, thanks.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by joan ofarc View Post
    Looking for help from anyone with a long memory over on the Southport Past forum.

Regent House 301 Lord Street.

http://blog.theatkinson.co.uk/volunt...dian-receipts/

Likes / Dislikes
    The Lord Street numbers occupied by Boothroyds which may help with dating if anyone knew when it opened.

Likes / Dislikes
    Thanks, Hamble. The blog you kindly provided the link for says that Holey's is now Debenhams, not Boothroyds. So I am trying to pin down the location and a possible date for an item of clothing I am researching. I know the numers for buildings along Lord Street have changed often
    Very helpful though, thanks.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    The Lord Street numbers occupied by Boothroyds which may help with dating if anyone knew when it opened.
    All I found was that Boothroyd's was classed as a Drapers and its company dates were listed as 19th/20th century.

(Aside. Found this while I was searching - made me smile:
    Southport’s status in local government terms has changed over the years: in 1866 it became a municipal borough, with a good degree of self-governance; in 1915 it was large enough to qualify as a county borough, thus became more independent of Lancashire ; but when more tinkering in 1971 threatened it with losing most of that independence as it was about to be rolled under Lancashire control, it instead opted to join with Merseyside, retaining control of services like education, though this union has occasionally been an uneasy one, Southport’s gentility contrasting at times with certain other parts of that wider district.) Cough!Cough!

Likes / Dislikes

Earley map might help.... 1938 Southport

Likes / Dislikes
    Thanks, Hamble. The blog you kindly provided the link for says that Holey's is now Debenhams, not Boothroyds. So I am trying to pin down the location and a possible date for an item of clothing I am researching. I know the numers for buildings along Lord Street have changed often
    I hope you are not in the mind to return the item, are you?

Damn, just as I got the date for Boothroyds (1896) now you want Debenhams date ! Typical, I bet you are female!

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post

Damn, just as I got the date for Boothroyds (1896) now you want Debenhams date ! Typical, I bet you are female!
    Come on Sherlock.

Likes / Dislikes
    I don't know if this helps you or not, but Debenhams' premises on Lord St. used to be Marshall & Snelgrove. I'm not sure of the exact date they opened in Southport, but the ad. below is from 1935.

Likes / Dislikes
    Thanks for the responses so far. The Atkinson has a receipt from J Holey's dating to the Edwardian period so it must be pre 1930s, although possibly still going strong then.
    I think I am going to have to hit the street guides!

This is the item I am trying to research. Could be part of a uniform or just a fashion item. Does anyone recognise it? The style is not the sort that can be easily dated but the family story is that it belonged to a grandmother so probably older than late 20th century.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post

Nope, not returning it. Your chauvanistic response is meant to be funny I suppose.

Likes / Dislikes
    Thanks for the responses so far. The Atkinson has a receipt from J Holey's dating to the Edwardian period so it must be pre 1930s, although possibly still going strong then.

This is the item I am trying to research. Could be part of a uniform or just a fashion item. Does anyone recognise it? The style is not the sort that can be easily dated but the family story is that it belonged to a grandmother so probably older than late 20th century.

Looking at your photo I would guess the cloak to be fashion trend as the front is shorter than the back.

Has a military style/influence collar and buttons that do not look antique.

I found this link to fashions in cloaks and thought it may help.

http://www.fashion-era.com/Coats_his...ry_4.htm#1920s Mantle Cloaks.

Likes / Dislikes
    Thanks again, Hamble. That was a very interesting site. I have bookmarked it.
    I agree about the buttons. Maybe they have been changed from the originals.
    The search goes on.

Likes / Dislikes
    Thanks again, Hamble. That was a very interesting site. I have bookmarked it.
    I agree about the buttons. Maybe they have been changed from the originals.
    The search goes on.

Thank you for an interesting thread.

Good luck with your quest.

Likes / Dislikes
    It could be the Debenham's building. I've since found out that it was built at the turn of the 20th century. The receipt on Hamble's blog link is dated 1897, and you say the Atkinson has a receipt from the Edwardian era, so that would fit.

I've also found out that Marshall & Snelgrove didn't establish a Southport branch until after 1925, so someone else occupied the premises beforehand.

The Boothroyds building was originally several shops which were integrated at a later date. The earliest part of the building bears the letters "Founded 1823". It's also possible that J. Holey occupied one of these shops.

The only thing I can tell you for sure, is that J.Holey's wasn't around when I was growing up in the 50s! I love this kind of stuff... please keep us in the loop about what you find out.

I'm no expert, but the way it's styled with the front of the cape being shorter than the back, makes me think it may be 1920s.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

106 - 114 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AJ
Big brands, big deals, 250 machines displayed, tractors, chainsaws, shredders, cultivators, aerators, vacs, trimmers, robot mowers, authorised warranty, most makes, est. 66 years
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 535369
4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788

30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808
486 Liverpool Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 3BD
We manufacture all types of Memorials and Cremation Tablets in marble, granite and stone. Existing monuments renovated & restored. Additional Inscriptions available on request
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578854

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)