southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    said Guest

If Anger is a weakness

Today I am very weak! An elderly man well over the age of eighty has been arrested! An over zealous manager of a charity shop saw the man 'brazenly' taking books and called the Police. The Police have arrested him and taken him to Copy Lane, Police Station!

1. Did the manager think to ask the man what he was doing - just in case the gentleman was confused? No!
    2. A charity shop is GIVEN goods on the understanding that the money raised from those goods will go to the named charity - when in fact the majority of charity shops donate a tiny 4% or less to the charity. For a book priced at 25p, the amount given to a charity is just 1p! Where does the rest of the money go?
    3. Would the manager of the shop have been as enthusiastic if confronted with a local gang of yobs - or was the old man an easy target?
    4. Is it really worthwhile for Police to be involved over a few pennies when their time could be used on more serious (difficult) crimes in the area, or do they think the old man may expand his criminal activity to robbing banks?
    5. The old man may have been confused and ignorant of what he was doing - being arrested could lead to a heart attack at his age. Even if he did know what he was doing, yes, it may be theft - but if he needed to steal them then why not give them to him.
    I don't know about the rest of you - but I think this is a blatant example of over reaction by someone who seriously lacks thought.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    So what age does it become O.K. to steal?

Just asking for future reference, I don't want to be premature.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Today I am very weak! An elderly man well over the age of eighty has been arrested! An over zealous manager of a charity shop saw the man 'brazenly' taking books and called the Police. The Police have arrested him and taken him to Copy Lane, Police Station!

1. Did the manager think to ask the man what he was doing - just in case the gentleman was confused? No!
    2. A charity shop is GIVEN goods on the understanding that the money raised from those goods will go to the named charity - when in fact the majority of charity shops donate a tiny 4% or less to the charity. For a book priced at 25p, the amount given to a charity is just 1p! Where does the rest of the money go?
    3. Would the manager of the shop have been as enthusiastic if confronted with a local gang of yobs - or was the old man an easy target?
    4. Is it really worthwhile for Police to be involved over a few pennies when their time could be used on more serious (difficult) crimes in the area, or do they think the old man may expand his criminal activity to robbing banks?
    5. The old man may have been confused and ignorant of what he was doing - being arrested could lead to a heart attack at his age. Even if he did know what he was doing, yes, it may be theft - but if he needed to steal them then why not give them to him.
    I don't know about the rest of you - but I think this is a blatant example of over reaction by someone who seriously lacks thought.
    Firstly, you do not include any link to support your post, so we only have your angry rant to go on. Secondly, it would seem you have no understanding on the behaviour of vulnerable people and how others deal with them. You seem to have little understanding that the vulnerable in our society, quite often get collected up by the police. That's usually because they've fallen through every other safety net that just wasn't there for them, due to our failing system. If some 80 year old plus guy is nicking from a charity shop, it's because he needs help. The worker there possibly called the police because he didn't know what else to do. So many who need help, get themselves arrested because they know they will get a warm cell for the night and fed. This man might not have been after that, but he needed to be taken into care, if only into a police station, until the right care measures were put into place. You fail to realise that our police cells are where some of the most vulnerable in our society hope to end up, because to them, there is no other help out there.
    There is a light and it never goes out.

Likes / Dislikes

But where is the evidence that what say happened really happened .
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    But where is the evidence that what say happened really happened .
    The source can't be mentioned!

They even have a picture of him being dragged off to the cells!

said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by caveywavey View Post
    Firstly, you do not include any link to support your post, so we only have your angry rant to go on. Secondly, it would seem you have no understanding on the behaviour of vulnerable people and how others deal with them. You seem to have little understanding that the vulnerable in our society, quite often get collected up by the police. That's usually because they've fallen through every other safety net that just wasn't there for them, due to our failing system. If some 80 year old plus guy is nicking from a charity shop, it's because he needs help. The worker there possibly called the police because he didn't know what else to do. So many who need help, get themselves arrested because they know they will get a warm cell for the night and fed. This man might not have been after that, but he needed to be taken into care, if only into a police station, until the right care measures were put into place. You fail to realise that our police cells are where some of the most vulnerable in our society hope to end up, because to them, there is no other help out there.
    Then is that not a failure of society? If someone is put in charge of a shop who have to call the Police because they are unsure what to do - then it is that person who needs help, not the problem they are expected to deal with. There must also have been other people in the shop who no doubt practised the usual "Not my problem" attitude instead of being more sympathetic.

said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    So what age does it become O.K. to steal?

Just asking for future reference, I don't want to be premature.
    Picking a coin up off the streets and keeping it - is stealing! Taking a sweet out of your friends bag without asking - is stealing! Telling lies is dishonest! In an argument with someone and you point your finger at them, that is assault! Talking about a certain sector of society is racism! Just how silly are people now?
    On the other hand, using a vehicle to ram raid a shop and put people in fear while stealing valuable items is criminal since there is a huge expense involved and people were put at risk! Bank robberies are criminal - people are put at risk!
    Everything should be put in perspective. You cannot possibly class someone picking up a few books in a second hand shop - that they probably would not be able to get rid of anyway - as having been a risk to society! I must have been mistaken - I thought we had all moved on from the times when people were put in the stocks for stealing an apple! I really believed people had become more civilised.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by caveywavey View Post
    Secondly, it would seem you have no understanding on the behaviour of vulnerable people and how others deal with them. You seem to have little understanding that the vulnerable in our society, quite often get collected up by the police. That's usually because they've fallen through every other safety net that just wasn't there for them, due to our failing system. If some 80 year old plus guy is nicking from a charity shop, it's because he needs help. The worker there possibly called the police because he didn't know what else to do. So many who need help, get themselves arrested because they know they will get a warm cell for the night and fed. This man might not have been after that, but he needed to be taken into care, if only into a police station, until the right care measures were put into place. You fail to realise that our police cells are where some of the most vulnerable in our society hope to end up, because to them, there is no other help out there.
    https://www.thebalance.com/jail-nurs...s-joke-2388420

Many a true word is spoken in jest....not fun to be old and dependent...

P.s.. Makes you wonder where the ruddy justice really is...

Likes / Dislikes
    Picking a coin up off the streets and keeping it - is stealing! Taking a sweet out of your friends bag without asking - is stealing! Telling lies is dishonest! In an argument with someone and you point your finger at them, that is assault! Talking about a certain sector of society is racism! Just how silly are people now?
    On the other hand, using a vehicle to ram raid a shop and put people in fear while stealing valuable items is criminal since there is a huge expense involved and people were put at risk! Bank robberies are criminal - people are put at risk!
    Everything should be put in perspective. You cannot possibly class someone picking up a few books in a second hand shop - that they probably would not be able to get rid of anyway - as having been a risk to society! I must have been mistaken - I thought we had all moved on from the times when people were put in the stocks for stealing an apple! I really believed people had become more civilised.

Jesus, he was in a shop, took goods that didn't belong to him. Got caught red handed. The ONLY thing your bring up in his defence is that he's over 80.
    As for the ram raid, I'm not quite sure where your trying to go with that? I'm sure the police are putting massive efforts into catching the 'a' holes that did that, and if caught will spend more than an hour or two at a police station.

So in your civilised culture if your over pensioning age you can steal? What else are you allowed to do over the age of 65? Can they uproot plant from your garden? Don't think anyone is put at risk there either.

Or would it be O.K. if a 19 year old boy did the same thing?

Where are these stocks that the gentlemen in question has been put into to?

Let me take a quick guess and say your over 65.

Likes / Dislikes
    I guess the police should check any non paying customer is not working his way up the high street....not paying.

Likes / Dislikes
    I seem to recall reading only last week that the police have declared they will in future not be bothering with thefts from shops with a value under £100. Seemed a stupid thing to say since that will only encourage people to have a bash!

As for the 80 year old, wouldn't it have been kinder to take him to one side and quietly suggest that if he couldn't afford the book, they would gladly give it to him? If he really was stealing it, then you would hope he would feel ashamed and if he was so hard up, then that little act of kindness would have made his day.

said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    Jesus, he was in a shop, took goods that didn't belong to him. Got caught red handed. The ONLY thing your bring up in his defence is that he's over 80.
    As for the ram raid, I'm not quite sure where your trying to go with that? I'm sure the police are putting massive efforts into catching the 'a' holes that did that, and if caught will spend more than an hour or two at a police station.

So in your civilised culture if your over pensioning age you can steal? What else are you allowed to do over the age of 65? Can they uproot plant from your garden? Don't think anyone is put at risk there either.

Or would it be O.K. if a 19 year old boy did the same thing?

Where are these stocks that the gentlemen in question has been put into to?

Let me take a quick guess and say your over 65.
    No - I am not over sixty five. But let me guess that you are one of today's modern liberals! The point that I was making was that to waste time and money over an incident that merits its worth in pennies - is really not worth making a fuss over. Hell - if I had been there I would have given the shop the money for the books myself, obviously they must be very hard up!

said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by melanieb View Post
    I seem to recall reading only last week that the police have declared they will in future not be bothering with thefts from shops with a value under £100. Seemed a stupid thing to say since that will only encourage people to have a bash!

As for the 80 year old, wouldn't it have been kinder to take him to one side and quietly suggest that if he couldn't afford the book, they would gladly give it to him? If he really was stealing it, then you would hope he would feel ashamed and if he was so hard up, then that little act of kindness would have made his day.
    Absolutely! But for some reason, many people go well over the top in these present times. For the sake of a few pence, hundreds of pounds are wasted and the possible mishandling of a human being on the verge of dimentia! Quite simply - people should THINK before they act!

Likes / Dislikes
    No - I am not over sixty five. But let me guess that you are one of today's modern liberals! The point that I was making was that to waste time and money over an incident that merits its worth in pennies - is really not worth making a fuss over. Hell - if I had been there I would have given the shop the money for the books myself, obviously they must be very hard up!
    Perhaps he wants to go back 150-200 years when they used to hang starving children for stealing bread.

The size of Southport Police station you'd think they would have a room there where they could ascertain the problem, I suppose if he needed care the Social Services would have to make their way to Copy Lane too.

A few more years of cuts and they will be able to have ONE Central Police Station in the Midlands and like Hospital A&E the Police can queue up to drop off their prisoners then make their way back to Cumbria Cornwall or wherever.

Likes / Dislikes
    Given the gentleman's age, it's possible that he's suffering from dementia or Alzheimers. So many people suffering from either of these conditions go wandering off in a state of confusion. How many times do we see news items asking if anyone has seen elderly missing people?

It's entirely possible that the store manager realised that this was the case, and called the police to help out. Better that than letting the poor soul go wandering off.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333
Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Bradshawa Lane, Southport, PR8 3LG
Following a full time career, Jim has now settled in to a challenging and exciting role as club professional at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club.
WEBSITE     TEL: 577316

15 Hampton Road, Southport, PR8 6SX
Your local hire centre. Extensive range of tools and equipment. Suppliers to the trade and DIY
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 538595
Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)