southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

Identity Cards Act 2006.

On reflection should this country have gone ahead with identity card system?

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Would it have made any difference? It takes a brief trip down to London, just a couple of hours stay and a few quid spent and you can have any documents you want.

Likes / Dislikes
    We have lots of identity cards. Driving licence, passport, credit/ debit cards.

So we should have a card that you have to have on you all the time.

That has a photo, name and address , your blood group and any allergies, would help in accidents.

The people from the EU carry their identity card all the time.

In India even children going to school have identity cards around their necks.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Would it have made any difference? It takes a brief trip down to London, just a couple of hours stay and a few quid spent and you can have any documents you want.
    Yes.
    It was abandoned as too difficult to implement and expensive back then.
    With hindsight it would have been better to have a system.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by susanb View Post

That has a photo, name and address , your blood group and any allergies, would help in accidents.

From Wiki

National identity cards are issued to their citizens by the governments of all European Union member states except Denmark, Ireland, and the United Kingdom, and also by Liechtenstein and Switzerland (the latter not formally part of the EEA). Citizens holding a national identity card, which states EEA or Swiss citizenship, can not only use it as an identity document within their home country, but also as a travel document to exercise the right of free movement in the EEA and Switzerland. Identity cards that do not state EEA or Swiss citizenship, including national identity cards issued to residents who are not citizens, are not valid as a travel document within the EEA and Switzerland.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by susanb View Post

Oh yes, I have seen those cards round people's necks. College kids have them and some of the business people on conferences. I thought it was in case they got lost.

Likes / Dislikes
    Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    I thought at the time that civil liberties groups made far too much of a fuss over the issue. They were indignant because they imagined The Powers That Be would be able to stop you and record where you were, who you were with etc. Obviously smart phones hadn't quite captured the public's imagination back then.

I'd be quite happy to have one. It could contain info on several other forms of ID, such as birth certificate, driver's licence, medical record etc. And, in a parallel universe where Cambridge Analytica hadn't brainwashed the simpletons, bitter, angry and those with dreams of a return to 'The Empire' amongst us, be used to travel freely between our partner EU countries.

Similar to taking DNA and fingerprint records at birth, why object if you aren't going to be up to no good?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    Bull.

I thought at the time that civil liberties groups made far too much of a fuss over the issue. They were indignant because they imagined The Powers That Be would be able to stop you and record where you were, who you were with etc. Obviously smart phones hadn't quite captured the public's imagination back then.

I'd be quite happy to have one. It could contain info on several other forms of ID, such as birth certificate, driver's licence, medical record etc. And, in a parallel universe where Cambridge Analytica hadn't brainwashed the simpletons, bitter, angry and those with dreams of a return to 'The Empire' amongst us, be used to travel freely between our partner EU countries.

Similar to taking DNA and fingerprint records at birth, why object if you aren't going to be up to no good?
    Identity cards would protect the vulnerable more and I feel give the nhs a database in every single aspect of the service.

Likes / Dislikes
    Bull.

You think so? I knew a Nigerian who urgently needed a British passport and insurance documents. He asked me for time off to go to London. When he arrived back - he had all his British documents. I asked to see each of the employees visa's that they had produced on employment - I wanted them to be brought in the next day to show me. The next day - I had no staff!

Already in the UK, it can be established what journey's you take, what purchases you make. what illnesses you suffer from, where your children go to school, how much your income is, where you work and how long you have worked there, which benefits you receive and why, where you go on holiday to, how long you stay and when you come back, how many debts you owe and to whom and a whole lot more! It is not a matter of one being a criminal - this information can be passed on to various marketing companies and others with an interest in targeting people of the public. We are already subjected to misinformation and misdirection by the media with the intent to persuade people into false ideals - I want to live my life in private and have the freedom to be able to do so. By having ID cards just makes the work simpler for the Government and criminalises the whole of the population. The last time such cards were issued was during the war time when the Government were seeking to trap potential spies. Far better for stricter controls over immigration rather than to penalise the indigent population.

Likes / Dislikes
    Bull.

Cards are old technology, surely a chip, with additional biometric authentication would make more sense.

Likes / Dislikes
    If all the details were held on a central database (similar to driving records held by the DVLA) it would be easy enough for the authorities to check if a card had been issued genuinely or not.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Steed View Post
    If all the details were held on a central database (similar to driving records held by the DVLA) it would be easy enough for the authorities to check if a card had been issued genuinely or not.
    You would think so - the number of foreign drivers without the correct licence or insurance is unknown. When stopped by the Police in random checks, the percentage of foreign drivers without the correct documentation is far higher than those of the indigent population

Likes / Dislikes
    You would think so - the number of foreign drivers without the correct licence or insurance is unknown. When stopped by the Police in random checks, the percentage of foreign drivers without the correct documentation is far higher than those of the indigent population
    Then the system works, not ideal, but it works, when checked against the database it throws up those with no license, incorrect license or those banned.
    You can’t do a lot more, there are always going to be those who for a number of reasons want false documents, a simple “stop, search and check” would find many out.
    Illegals could be deported, criminals locked up (providing the “do Gooders ” didn’t play the “human rights” card.
    The card would have to contain such information as DNA or fingerprint details to stop cards being cloned, as I believe happens now in certain communities.
    I have absolutely no issue with my DNA or such being held on a database.

Likes / Dislikes
    You think so? I knew a Nigerian who urgently needed a British passport and insurance documents. He asked me for time off to go to London. When he arrived back - he had all his British documents. I asked to see each of the employees visa's that they had produced on employment - I wanted them to be brought in the next day to show me. The next day - I had no staff!
    Oh dear, a financial services company using illegal immigrants. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in your business practices, or potential results.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    Oh dear, a financial services company using illegal immigrants. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in your business practices, or potential results.
    It was not their fault that they were illegal immigrants in the UK, the Cruise line had been hired to take them to Syria, but the liner was full when they turned up so they put them in a rowing boat with a Sat Nav, to guide them. The route to Syria on the Sat Nav took them via the UK, that's all. I was at the dock when they arrived and I thought I would do my bit to help these poor souls, so I took them on for a few months until they could find transport to their intended destination - but I lost them somewhere in the UK when they did not turn up for work. So if you come across seventeen Somalians who appear to be lost - do let me know.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

25-27 Forest Road, Southport, PR8 6JD
Come to visit Wallpaper John@ Forest Road Wallcoverings today for Southport's finest range of wallcoverings with over 1000 designs always in store.
WEBSITE
106 - 114 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AJ
Big brands, big deals, 250 machines displayed, tractors, chainsaws, shredders, cultivators, aerators, vacs, trimmers, robot mowers, authorised warranty, most makes, est. 66 years
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 535369

Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913
486 Liverpool Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 3BD
We manufacture all types of Memorials and Cremation Tablets in marble, granite and stone. Existing monuments renovated & restored. Additional Inscriptions available on request
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578854

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)