southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
    Likes / Dislikes

Days out by train

Although I can drive I don't really enjoy it so when going for a holiday in Britain we normally go by train. Having just been to London, Guildford and Stoke for a few days it got me thinking of where to go for just days out. Places close to home such as Chester but where you feel as though you have been away. Where are the best places to visit by train from Southport, has anyone got any favourites, thanks
    Volunteers needed now

Southport And Formby Special Athletes
    Registered charity no. 1037697

www.southportspecialathletes.org.uk

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bambi275 View Post
    Although I can drive I don't really enjoy it so when going for a holiday in Britain we normally go by train. Having just been to London, Guildford and Stoke for a few days it got me thinking of where to go for just days out. Places close to home such as Chester but where you feel as though you have been away. Where are the best places to visit by train from Southport, has anyone got any favourites, thanks
    Anywhere along the Welsh Coast is good. York is an interesting place and Lancaster is nice, Shrewsbury is different. Really depends on your taste.

Likes / Dislikes
    1. York is certainly worth a visit, with plenty to see....1hr 20mins from Mcr Piccadilly.

2. Hebden Bridge is small but perfectly formed, has independent shops, eateries, and pleasant canal walks....trains run from Mcr Victoria.

3. Lancaster is worth a look. Change at Wigan for Pendolino services.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Chester is easy to get to on Merseyrail & cheap on Saveaways - a Family can go for £11.
    Greater Manchester have a Wayfarer ticket which is valid from Parbold and covers a tremendous area into Cheshire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire, valid after 9-30 costs £13 Adult £8 concessions.
    https://www.tfgm.com/tickets-and-passes/wayfarer-adult

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    Chester is easy to get to on Merseyrail & cheap on Saveaways - a Family can go for £11.
    Greater Manchester have a Wayfarer ticket which is valid from Parbold and covers a tremendous area into Cheshire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire, valid after 9-30 costs £13 Adult £8 concessions.
    https://www.tfgm.com/tickets-and-passes/wayfarer-adult
    Valid from Appley Bridge, Parbold is in Lancashire Appley Bridge is in GMR.

If going North I'd price TransPennineExpress from Wigan North Western to say Oxenholme for Windermere or Carnforth for the Barrow line Grange-over-sands/Ulverston/Cartmel also from Carnforth you can get a train to Settle and Skipton.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    Valid from Appley Bridge, Parbold is in Lancashire Appley Bridge is in GMR.

If going North I'd price TransPennineExpress from Wigan North Western to say Oxenholme for Windermere or Carnforth for the Barrow line Grange-over-sands/Ulverston/Cartmel also from Carnforth you can get a train to Settle and Skipton.
    The Wayfarer is valid from Parbold.

https://assets.contentful.com/nv7y93...er-bus-map.pdf

Likes / Dislikes

Steam

If steam is your thing, then head for Keighley...over the steps from the main-line for tickets to board the famous Worth Valley Railway.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    The Wayfarer is valid from Parbold.

https://assets.contentful.com/nv7y93...er-bus-map.pdf
    They must have done that to do away with all the free rides people expected from Parbold-Appley Bridge and vice versa. I suppose now the Burscough freeloaders expect a free ride to Parbold before purchasing their Wayfarer.

Likes / Dislikes
    Harrogate.

Buxton.

Edinburgh.

Likes / Dislikes
    Go to Chester Zoo, it is brilliant.
    Devil in disguise,

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    They must have done that to do away with all the free rides people expected from Parbold-Appley Bridge and vice versa. I suppose now the Burscough freeloaders expect a free ride to Parbold before purchasing their Wayfarer.
    The Wayfarer has always been available from Parbold, some of the other 'Day Tickets' are only available from Appley Bridge.
    The guard usually checks tickets between stations during the day and often there is an additional checker as well.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808
178 Bispham Road, Southport, PR9 7DF
Although mainly catering for the family cyclist, our business encompasses all aspects of cycling.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 228805

33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333
486 Liverpool Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 3BD
We manufacture all types of Memorials and Cremation Tablets in marble, granite and stone. Existing monuments renovated & restored. Additional Inscriptions available on request
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578854

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)