southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

Chapel Street Changes

Is it OK to cycle down Chapel Street now? There does not seem to be any enforcement to prevent it as there used to be.

In fact, today a Police Car drove slowly down the central lane of the pedestrianised area, with a cyclist casually following close to its back bumper. The cyclist turned off at Tulketh Street, while the Police car went on to Eastbank Street.

Or is it that the Police are out of towners and are not aware of the restrictions to cyclists?

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Maybe the depleted police force had more serious crimes to attend to.

Likes / Dislikes
    From the legal standpoint, Chapel St is still a 'no cycling' zone...But without PCSO's being present to enforce it, some riders will inevitably ignore the prohibition. Same could be said for the motorists ignoring the towns 20mph areas.

There's clearly bags of room to mark out a simple two-way cycle route down the centre. Or alternatively to allow people to ride through subject to a 5mph speed-limit. At the very least, cycling should be allowed before 9am and after 5pm, to allow commuters on bikes to pass through - but don't hold your breath!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    From the legal standpoint, Chapel St is still a 'no cycling' zone...But without PCSO's being present to enforce it, some riders will inevitably ignore the prohibition. Same could be said for the motorists ignoring the towns 20mph areas.

There's clearly bags of room to mark out a simple two-way cycle route down the centre. Or alternatively to allow people to ride through subject to a 5mph speed-limit. At the very least, cycling should be allowed before 9am and after 5pm, to allow commuters on bikes to pass through - but don't hold your breath!
    Chapel St has been PEDESTRIANISED! that means on foot, not on your bike. So get on your bike and do one.

Likes / Dislikes

Cycling down Chapel St

There are signs at either end of Chapel St stating that cycling is not allowed plus there are some not very visible smaller signs placed on some of the streetlights down there.
    When I'm in town I see people going fast down there on bikes, I was in town on Tuesday and saw one whizz through there in a matter of seconds and Chapel St was averagely full.

Likes / Dislikes
    If as i suspect the regulations on cycling & skating are Bye Laws it is nothing to do with the Police it is a Civil matter.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Saxon View Post
    There are signs at either end of Chapel St stating that cycling is not allowed plus there are some not very visible smaller signs placed on some of the streetlights down there.
    When I'm in town I see people going fast down there on bikes, I was in town on Tuesday and saw one whizz through there in a matter of seconds and Chapel St was averagely full.
    Perhaps they're just avoiding all the private motor vehicles using the London St cycle, bus and taxi lane.

Likes / Dislikes
    [QUOTE=Kafoozalum;6650689]Chapel St has been PEDESTRIANISED!

Has it? Delivery vehicles are permitted in at certain times of day, so any 'pedestrianisation' there is only of the part-time variety.

Not only that, some of the signage clearly refers to 'no motor vehicles' e.g. various discs showing silhouette of car and motorbike - thus no bearing on cyclists per se. In view of that obvious anomaly, I'd suspect a clued-up legal representative could get any cyclist off, who had been charged with riding his/her bike.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Something seems to be happening in the Poundworld shop.
    Devil in disguise,

Likes / Dislikes
    [QUOTE=The PNP;6650767]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafoozalum View Post
    Chapel St has been PEDESTRIANISED!

Has it? Delivery vehicles are permitted in at certain times of day, so any 'pedestrianisation' there is only of the part-time variety.

Not only that, some of the signage clearly refers to 'no motor vehicles' e.g. various discs showing silhouette of car and motorbike - thus no bearing on cyclists per se. In view of that obvious anomaly, I'd suspect a clued-up legal representative could get any cyclist off, who had been charged with riding his/her bike.

Looking at Google Street View April 2017 'no cycling' signs are in place at both ends.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
    Something seems to be happening in the Poundworld shop.
    Yes there is but for the life of me I can't remember who is moving in .
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post

Looking at Google Street View April 2017 'no cycling' signs are in place at both ends.
    True enough.....Yet ride in via the passage at side of Town Hall and exit onto Tulketh St, a rider would believe Chapel St was only a 'no motor vehicle' area. No possible way of anyone following that route, to know there was a ban on bikes.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    True enough.....Yet ride in via the passage at side of Town Hall and exit onto Tulketh St, a rider would believe Chapel St was only a 'no motor vehicle' area. No possible way of anyone following that route, to know there was a ban on bikes.

Cyclists ride along Chapel St because they don't care about anyone else, end of.

Likes / Dislikes
    Chapel St has been PEDESTRIANISED!

Looking for ways to circumvent the law? Yes it was pedestrianised. Personally I think it was totally unnecessary and a bad move, but it is what it is.
    Cycling on Chapel St is dangerous as well as not allowed, but you obviously don't care whether you injure anybody just as long as your rights as a cyclist are recognised.
    Before you go off on one, I don't have a thing about cyclists, just as long as they respect the same laws as the rest of us.
    I wish I had a fiver for every time I've nearly been hit by a cyclist in Hesketh Park. Not to mention the guy yesterday cycling along Queens Rd/ Houghton St with earphones on, texting on his phone & crossing 2 red lights.

Likes / Dislikes
    So basically what you're saying is that every stretch of pavement should also have "no cycling" signs otherwise it's ok to ride on the pavement as the only way to get to that passage is via the pavement.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Bradshawa Lane, Southport, PR8 3LG
Following a full time career, Jim has now settled in to a challenging and exciting role as club professional at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club.
WEBSITE     TEL: 577316
486 Liverpool Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 3BD
We manufacture all types of Memorials and Cremation Tablets in marble, granite and stone. Existing monuments renovated & restored. Additional Inscriptions available on request
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578854

Unit 24 AK Business Park, Russell Road, Southport, PR9 7SA
Rimmers Windows, a family run business, has gone from strength to strength since opening in 1991 and has developed a reputation second to none for top quality windows and doors, available at very competitive rates.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 505511
33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)