southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst ...
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    and when that odd person pulls out of the junction, you'll be glad you where doing 50mph not 70+, which is exactly the point of average speed cameras.
    Doing 70 you are going to be on the road for a much shorter time which means its less likely someone is going to pull out on you. It would also deter people from pulling out too close to other cars knowing that the traffic is going at least 70mph.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by rare-pepe999 View Post
    Doing 70 you are going to be on the road for a much shorter time which means its less likely someone is going to pull out on you. It would also deter people from pulling out too close to other cars knowing that the traffic is going at least 70mph.
    You could be onto something there....Raise/double all speed-limits, so everyone can screech about at twice the speed like so many blue-ar$ed flies. Reducing personal exposure to risk of collision by 50%, while also deterring cars from exiting side-roads for fear of being wiped out - brilliant!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Oh we have a comedian, Shame that one is as old as the hills.

PNP, he thinks he's getting a rise out of us, when in fact we are just thinking what a bell end.

Likes / Dislikes
    I would rather be admiring the view out of the car window than looking at the lid of my box, but each to their own.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    That is the risk, when some fool pulls out to join or cross the main road - and approaching traffic (at 60mph) can't stop in time.....A lower limit = a shorter stopping distance, so reducing/preventing an impact.
    I do understand your logic, but explain why virtually all the accidents are in the section with lower limits and "safety" measures in place, doesn't exactly back up your logic

Likes / Dislikes
    Right,

I would like to suggest you lot are all missing the point.

Speed Limits are IRRELEVANT to safe driving. Completely irrelevant.

Which is NOT to say that people should be doing any speed they like!

On the same road, and I'm not referring to any particular road, it could be safe to do 70 or 80 or it could be safe to do 40 or less, depending on many factors such as quantity of traffic, the weather, the time of day, etc.

We should be thinking about how to get drivers to think about what the safe speed is for the particular set of driving conditions they are faced with, not worrying about numbers on signs.

I would also say going too slowly is dangerous as I find concentration is better when travelling at the correct speed. I tend to get distracted when dawdling.

And 'going too slowly' doesn't have anything to do with speed limits either. Again, it's to do with the correct speed for the conditions.

Likes / Dislikes
    You could be onto something there....Raise/double all speed-limits, so everyone can screech about at twice the speed like so many blue-ar$ed flies. Reducing personal exposure to risk of collision by 50%, while also deterring cars from exiting side-roads for fear of being wiped out - brilliant!
    Thank you

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    Right,

I would like to suggest you lot are all missing the point.

Speed Limits are IRRELEVANT to safe driving. Completely irrelevant.

Which is NOT to say that people should be doing any speed they like!

On the same road, and I'm not referring to any particular road, it could be safe to do 70 or 80 or it could be safe to do 40 or less, depending on many factors such as quantity of traffic, the weather, the time of day, etc.

We should be thinking about how to get drivers to think about what the safe speed is for the particular set of driving conditions they are faced with, not worrying about numbers on signs.

I would also say going too slowly is dangerous as I find concentration is better when travelling at the correct speed. I tend to get distracted when dawdling.

And 'going too slowly' doesn't have anything to do with speed limits either. Again, it's to do with the correct speed for the conditions.

I agree to an extent, but an accident at 50mph hurts a lot less than one at 70mph. People are clearly not sticking to the current speed limits. So the next option is an average speed camera.

You don't have to be the one at fault to be the one that's injured.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    I agree to an extent, but an accident at 50mph hurts a lot less than one at 70mph. People are clearly not sticking to the current speed limits. So the next option is an average speed camera.

You don't have to be the one at fault to be the one that's injured.
    We are all aware of that fact, but where does it end? we have the utterly pointless 20 mph limits, will they be extended out onto the open road because an accident at 20 mph is more survivable?

Speed of it's self is not the cause of most accidents, sure there are always those who use the roads in a poor manner using all forms of transport, but it is utterly impossible to make moving about totally safe, should we all stay indoors? even then someone will trip over the cat and do themselves a serious mischief.

Likes / Dislikes
    That is the risk, when some fool pulls out to join or cross the main road - and approaching traffic (at 60mph) can't stop in time.....A lower limit = a shorter stopping distance, so reducing/preventing an impact.
    So just because one or two drivers cannot look properly everyone else has to suffer?

It would be better if those who cannot driver properly were taken off the roads.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Driver View Post
    So just because one or two drivers cannot look properly everyone else has to suffer?

It would be better if those who cannot driver properly were taken off the roads
    Agree wholeheartdly, but that rarely happens...After causing a pile-up (unless they are badly injured or over the alcohol limit) they're back on the road within days and ready to make more mayhem.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    We are all aware of that fact, but where does it end? we have the utterly pointless 20 mph limits, will they be extended out onto the open road because an accident at 20 mph is more survivable?

Speed of it's self is not the cause of most accidents, sure there are always those who use the roads in a poor manner using all forms of transport, but it is utterly impossible to make moving about totally safe, should we all stay indoors? even then someone will trip over the cat and do themselves a serious mischief.

I know it's a dilemma as to what to do about accidents. Other options have been tried e.g. reducing the hot spots to 50mph. Radar guns, I'm guessing the result after several years of giving it a go are not good enough. I'm guessing the next option for them is this average speed camera. Which TBH I think are WAY more effective than standard speed cameras that only work for a 100m or so.

As for 20mph zones, I personally take zero notice of them. If I need to do 20 or 10mph down a certain road I will do, but I'm not doing a blanket 20mph just because someone has got a bee in their bonnet. One day I'll get caught. But I'm not going to moan about it like big girl.

It's not that I'm some sort of go slow merchant either. I had a Subaru impreza for 5 years and currently drive a focus ST ( for the record the Impreza was much better ;-) ).

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post

Quite right, but trying to get points through is like trying to plait fog. In my 48 years driving (including legally exceeding the speed limit on emergency calls) I must have driven the best Part of 1 Million miles I have owned 15 cars doing 300,000 miles in two of them. I don't change my cars like my underpants. I have also driven work vehicles over the last 47 years so my estimate of 1 million miles is conservative, and I have never hit anyone killed anyone or claimed on my Insurance but I too have and still have cars that quite easily will do twice the maximum legal speed limit but never have. I have no problem with the average speed cameras but WHY the reduction in speed? How many more speed reductions are there going to be until the idiots are taken off the roads. Carry on and we'll all be travelling round in reverse.

FirstFirst ...
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913
106 - 114 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AJ
Big brands, big deals, 250 machines displayed, tractors, chainsaws, shredders, cultivators, aerators, vacs, trimmers, robot mowers, authorised warranty, most makes, est. 66 years
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 535369

Unit 24 AK Business Park, Russell Road, Southport, PR9 7SA
Rimmers Windows, a family run business, has gone from strength to strength since opening in 1991 and has developed a reputation second to none for top quality windows and doors, available at very competitive rates.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 505511
486 Liverpool Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 3BD
We manufacture all types of Memorials and Cremation Tablets in marble, granite and stone. Existing monuments renovated & restored. Additional Inscriptions available on request
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578854

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)