southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Likes / Dislikes

Brexit, political views aside .

"Political views " aside what is a good deal for the UK . Let's have a good level headed discussion .
    Last edited by grassroots; 22/06/2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: To make the thread nonpolitical
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    "Political views " aside what is a good deal for the UK . Let's have a good level headed discussion .
    The best deal would be to just leave, drop everything EU related, repeal all t he red tape it has created and ignore their demands for a ridiculous bill.

no deal would be better than a "soft brexit", everyone knows it. The remoaners are just trying to cling on to anything from their beloved EU.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by rare-pepe999 View Post
    The best deal would be to just leave, drop everything EU related, repeal all t he red tape it has created and ignore their demands for a ridiculous bill.

no deal would be better than a "soft brexit", everyone knows it. The remoaners are just trying to cling on to anything from their beloved EU.
    Don't think we can just leave and walk away , may be wrong . If we did just that wouldn't we lose the faith of the rest of Europe and all that goes with that . As far as the red tape goes I think it my take years to repeal it .
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

Likes / Dislikes
    I don't see how we can walk away with any kind of 'good' deal. If we do, it would be a clear signal to other EU members that they'd be better off out of the Union.

For jobs, business and free access to the single market, as soft a Brexit as we can manage while keeping the rabid Brexiteers happy would suffice.

I speak as someone who voted to leave, but has since changed my mind. So I'd like to keep as many of the advantages as possible.

Likes / Dislikes
    The best deal would be to retain as much as possible of the trading benefits and human rights that we enjoy now.....But in fact expect the end result to be one big cockup, costing us a packet and taking many years to sort out.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    I don't see how we can walk away with any kind of 'good' deal. If we do, it would be a clear signal to other EU members that they'd be better off out of the Union.

For jobs, business and free access to the single market, as soft a Brexit as we can manage while keeping the rabid Brexiteers happy would suffice.

I speak as someone who voted to leave, but has since changed my mind. So I'd like to keep as many of the advantages as possible.

Toodles what in your opinion would be a "soft" Brexit .
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

Likes / Dislikes
    Real Brexit rather than the nonsense of "hard" and "soft" Brexit. We just need to walk away, paying nothing, and act as a sovereign nation again. World Trade rules allow that and forbid penalties from the EU. Short term hardship is worth it for long term prosperity, the ability to set our own deals with the rest of the World (we can't do this while in the EU) and the right to save our country from the madness of continued mass immigration and all the terrorism that will continue to bring. Whether our poorly educated populace, made ever more stupid by listening to the BBC and other EUrophile broadcasters, is prepared to accept temporary hardship for the greater goood of the country is another matter.

Likes / Dislikes
    We need to think why did we join?

All the problems and issues we had before we joined will reappear and more.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by dav View Post
    [B]A)) We just need to walk away, paying nothing, and act as a sovereign nation again.

B) the right to save our country from the madness of continued mass immigration and all the terrorism that will continue to bring.
    A) Can't see that happening tbh. Way too many U.K. businesses depend on selling to their customers within the E.U.....'Walking away' would jeopardise that trade and the U.K. jobs that go with it.

B) Then make a start now by clamping right down on immigration from outside the E.U., in particular from those places where all this terrorism originated.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    We need to think why did we join?

All the problems and issues we had before we joined will reappear and more.
    We joined something that was supposed to be just a trading block. It is no longer that.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    A) Can't see that happening tbh. Way too many U.K. businesses depend on selling to their customers within the E.U.....'Walking away' would jeopardise that trade and the U.K. jobs that go with it.

B) Then make a start now by clamping right down on immigration from outside the E.U., in particular from those places where all this terrorism originated.
    a) We can still trade with the EU even when not a member. That's what the WTO protects. The EU is also a declining market and there is a big wide world out there. Free of the EU we can set our own agreements with these countries; presently we can't.

b) Couldn't agree more - but plenty of the terrorists are originally from third world countries but have been given EU passports so we currently have to accept them.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    Toodles what in your opinion would be a "soft" Brexit .
    I think a soft Brexit will have as little impact as possible on all of the small businesses employing millions in this country. Retaining access to the single market would be preferable. After all, wasn't that what we joined in the first place? A 'common market', before it became a European super state?

Of course, we'll have to make contributions, just as Switzerland or Norway do, but that is part and parcel of trading with close countries rather than waiting for 'the rest of the world' to come to us. It may also encourage those big players to continue to see us as a gateway to Europe.

As far as immigration is concerned, it should be controlled, sure. But we need immigration. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool, a racist, or probably both. Perhaps a visa-waiver scheme? I think what rattled most people's cages about free movement between EU countries was the fact that convicted murderers and rapists could just walk in willy-nilly. That and the perfect timing of seemingly millions of Muslims marching across into Europe that were very obviously not asylum-seekers or seeking refuge. In fact, had that not happened when it did, I doubt the whole question of membership would have arisen.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    I think a soft Brexit will have as little impact as possible on all of the small businesses employing millions in this country. Retaining access to the single market would be preferable. After all, wasn't that what we joined in the first place? A 'common market', before it became a European super state?

Of course, we'll have to make contributions, just as Switzerland or Norway do, but that is part and parcel of trading with close countries rather than waiting for 'the rest of the world' to come to us. It may also encourage those big players to continue to see us as a gateway to Europe.

As far as immigration is concerned, it should be controlled, sure. But we need immigration. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool, a racist, or probably both. Perhaps a visa-waiver scheme? I think what rattled most people's cages about free movement between EU countries was the fact that convicted murderers and rapists could just walk in willy-nilly. That and the perfect timing of seemingly millions of Muslims marching across into Europe that were very obviously not asylum-seekers or seeking refuge. In fact, had that not happened when it did, I doubt the whole question of membership would have arisen.

Some interesting points, especially the one about asylum seekers , and the point on the timing of the referendum .i
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

Likes / Dislikes
    We joined something that was supposed to be just a trading block. It is no longer that.
    But we had a referendum on whether to implemement the Mastrich Treaty and we voted yes straight away unlike several European neighbours.
    If we are not in the Single Market and the Customs Union goods will be held up for ages at the Channel, fresh produce will rot & livestock will die, this is why we joined.

Likes / Dislikes
    a) We can still trade with the EU even when not a member. That's what the WTO protects. The EU is also a declining market and there is a big wide world out there. Free of the EU we can set our own agreements with these countries; presently we can't.
    EU is our biggest market, WTO tarriffs would make us uncompetitive.

1 ... LastLast
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808
178 Bispham Road, Southport, PR9 7DF
Although mainly catering for the family cyclist, our business encompasses all aspects of cycling.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 228805

Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913
33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)