southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
    Likes / Dislikes

3 in near miss on a Birkdale Rail Crossing

3 people had a near miss recently on Crescent Rd rail crossing, a train went through and they started to cross unaware of another train approaching.
    How many more are going to have to die before something is done about these half barrier crossings, this could easily have been another three.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...train-15147261

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    3 people had a near miss recently on Crescent Rd rail crossing, a train went through and they started to cross unaware of another train approaching.
    How many more are going to have to die before something is done about these half barrier crossings, this could easily have been another three.

If people want to take chances when the barriers are down then full or half systems won't stop them. Remember common sense isn't all that common.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post

So you mean replace them with full barriers that the numpties in question would just climb over.

Likes / Dislikes
    Leave the half barriers in place, if people are that stupid to walk over the tracks when the lights are flashing and the barrier is still down then let them, they eventually won't be missed.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Driver View Post
    Leave the half barriers in place, if people are that stupid to walk over the tracks when the lights are flashing and the barrier is still down then let them, they eventually won't be missed.
    Totally agree, if people are so stupid as to do this, nature should be allowed to take its course.

Likes / Dislikes
    The problem with nature taking its' course is the devastating effects on the poor driver.

That said full or half barriers won't stop the Darwin contenders from risking life and limb to save those 'vital' seconds.

Likes / Dislikes
    theres also those that have had enough and wish to pass over.sadly as has been mentioned the drivers of those trains suffer, but believe if you wish to end and depart then its your choice,no one else understands whats going on inside,a persons life !

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post
    The problem with nature taking its' course is the devastating effects on the poor driver.

That said full or half barriers won't stop the Darwin contenders from risking life and limb to save those 'vital' seconds.
    Is correct

Likes / Dislikes
    Then there are those who wear earphones and live in a private bubble. They do not see, hear or sense anything around them. They would not even recognise they were near a railway crossing, just merely duck under the bar without even knowing, caring or thinking why it was there.

Likes / Dislikes
    I recall being on the Underground. Our train was held in a station and eventually the driver came on to say it was because someone had jumped in front of the train ahead. After a pause he said he thought we would all join him in commiserating with the driver, because "when this happens the paperwork is horrendous".

Likes / Dislikes
    I should imagine that the paperwork IS horrendous and so is the effect on the driver of the train... I am pretty certain that he/she would be traumatized.
    I may be old but I ain't stupid..!!!
    http://www.sdlbl.btck.co.uk
    Clipart

Likes / Dislikes
    Surely this also relates to the 20mph thread? People should take more responsibility with their lives. If you step into a road without looking - then it is your fault if you get injured?

Having said that - today I was walking along a public footpath and a car driver mounted the pavement and waited until I had moved out of his way before parking directly in front of the shop??

Guess you cannot win! Perhaps trains should also travel at 20mph.

Likes / Dislikes
    Mind you I really think that FULL barriers would be preferable (and safer!!!!)
    I may be old but I ain't stupid..!!!
    http://www.sdlbl.btck.co.uk
    Clipart

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoja View Post
    Mind you I really think that FULL barriers would be preferable (and safer!!!!)
    There are full barriers further along that line - but it has not stopped people jumping over them. I remember seeing the pieces of one lad not long after he jumped over.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoja View Post
    I should imagine that the paperwork IS horrendous and so is the effect on the driver of the train... I am pretty certain that he/she would be traumatized.
    In days gone by the driver only had a limited view, just enough to see the signals ahead but the modern trains give the driver a panoramic view so if they hit something they know about it. I saw a train in Piccadilly a few weeks ago with Bird remains splattered across the front it was a right mess, I would imagine that it is very scary to see a large bird heading towards your face and being splattered at 100mph never mind a human.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333
30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808

Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913
178 Bispham Road, Southport, PR9 7DF
Although mainly catering for the family cyclist, our business encompasses all aspects of cycling.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 228805

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)